Which model do I buy.

TomTom Model(s)
One (v2)
I've wanted to replace my TomTom One for some considerable time and have taken periodic looks at what is available and indeed have sought advice from the TomTom stand at Goodwood last summer. (yes...as long ago as that) Each time I've looked I come up against some horrific reviews on updating the maps, so much so it realy has distracted me from buying, thinking I would leave it for a while. Currently I have just looked at the 25 StartUK or the 25 StartEU and to be honest there is still lots of these one star reviews which are still putting me off.
Can any of you Moderators give me a glimmer of encouragement?

Welcome to TTF.

A couple of our mods are UK based and one or both will likely pop into this thread before long to give you sound advice.

Check back.

Yeah, warmer than normal around Toronto this winter. Less snow than normal as well. Sadly, too much of the stuff all over Europe.

I've been a TomTom user since my first - the Classic - in 2004 and now use the XXL540s. But if I had to buy a new device for use in Europe today I would most likely go for a Garmin 2460LMT only for the reason of Lifetime maps. They are offered by TomTom in North America but not in Europe. So the long term ownership cost of a European model of TomTom PND is just far too much greater than the Garmin.

Guess they figure they have the better market share in Europe and can afford to play that game. They surely can't here.

I can't see the 2460LMT on the Garmin website. Is it a new model or is it in fact a discontinued model or perhaps not available in the UK

Am surprised that PGPSW is a fan of any of the EasyMenu units. Would have thought they'd know better.

Welcome to TTF.

A couple of our mods are UK based and one or both will likely pop into this thread before long to give you sound advice.

Check back.

No constructive reply as yet!
This is exactly what I read in some reviews. Many seem to find the UK customer service is very poor indeed.

UK customer service has **nothing** to do with this forum. We are not associated with TomTom, the company in any way.

Welcome to TTF.

Check back.

This is exactly what I read in some reviews. Many seem to find the UK customer service is very poor indeed.

Excuse me?

I'm one of the mods from the UK mentioned and I *did* point you to a review and three pages of comments.
And as dhn says, we are NOTHING to do with TomTom customer services.

Last edited:
Am surprised that PGPSW is a fan of any of the EasyMenu units. Would have thought they'd know better.

I only had one on test for a short while, but if I remember correctly, what became the Start 20/25 don't have the Easymenu. It had the full NAV3 menus.
The Start and Start 2 were very different beasts...

Not sure. Thought the Start 20 and 25 were the same as the Via 140X and 150X models?

Welcome to TTF.

Check back.

Sorry about that but I realise you’re not TomTom and I should have been more specific. The fact is that I’ve been reluctant to buy another TT due to the poor service they seem to offer when things go wrong with their initial map updates. All I would like is a new 5 inch Satnav, plug and play, no hassle. May be I’m a pessimist but I can imagine being one of the unlucky ones. Perhaps I should stay with my One.
Thanks for your help.

@Canderson...
By chance I happened to see a retail Start20 and 25 on demo in a department store today.

I can confirm that they were just like the early model I had, and they DO have the proper full menus.

@MVL.... that's another addition for the Hardware chart.

@St George... Did you have a lok at that PGPSW review? The Start25 is about as plug and play as you're going to get. It's pretty good for the price.

have a 1005 europe v2 and i have had no problems with it. I actually really like it (as oppose to the butchered features that you cant blame the device for). I tried the 825 and for me its night and day difference between the two. I am in the UK and i would not go for s agsrmin as all sources report the live traffic as useless which is the feature i most want. I did however find myself tempated by the navigon 92 premium live, but the tomtom databsse for historical data makes the tomtom the best for UK city driving for me.

I have, finally bought a Start 25 EU and I'm pleased to say it's going fine. The software is not that different to the ONE v2 I had which is a great help. I'ts a somewhat basic model but not being a great traveller i'ts OK for my needs. I haven't yet logged on to get my initial map updates and according to what some of the Amazon reviews are saying it could be a daunting task.

Ask a Question