what model to buy?

TomTom Model(s)
none
Hello all.
Although I have had both TomTom and Garmin in the past, i want to get a new one.
Also my vehicle has a built in sat nav, but it lacks many feature now available on the new models.
I am getting absolutely paranoid about speed cameras, especially the sneaky mobile ones, on a bend 50 metres past the limit sign. (I dont speed but it does help to have a warning)
And am concerned about the new Zones of danger rules in France, which means I have to disable my vehicle built in fixed safety camera warnings, and must disable my existing, (but old) garmin which gives me fixed and mobile site warnings.
I actually decided to buy one of the latest Garmin models (NuLink 2340) but the screen was unreadable in sunlight, so am sending it back.
I have a TomTom 1000 EU reserved for me at John Lewis at a good price, but am not sure if this is really the model i want.
I am a bit confused with all the models, numbers, and options What is the difference between the Via models and the Live and the Go
I have looked at comparison tables eg. at the satnav discounts comparison table and it seems that they all tick the same boxes.
What is the main advantages of the different model numbers, Go 820 Eu against the Go 1000EU?:
I must have European mapping, and I want excellent safety camera warnings, the rest of the features eg lane and traffic information etc I can take or leave, but some of them seem useful, eg a fuel price check against local petrol stations.
I am also a bit concerned about the negative reports some reviews seem to give.
Can any of you offer advice and maybe comments on the models you use?
Many thanks looking forward to reciev your replies. :confused:

Welcome to TTF. Some of our mods are UK based and one or both should see this thread and pop in to offer advice. So, check back within, say, 24 hours ......

I have a TomTom 1000 EU reserved for me at John Lewis at a good price, but am not sure if this is really the model i want.
I am a bit confused with all the models, numbers, and options What is the difference between the Via models and the Live and the Go

The idea was for "Go" models to be the high-end ones with all the features such as LIVE Services, and for "VIA" ones to be somewhat cut-down models, but typically, TomTom have messed it up yet again by launching simple Go models and better-featured VIA ones, so the distinctions have got blurred.
There isn't a model range called "Live", but LIVE Services are available on the more expensive models and again have been added to models that were not intended to have them originally.

One thing that you could depend on was that the high-end models all had an SD card slot, and the low-end models didn't. (Without one, you are limited to the space available on the internal memory and that makes it impossible to put the latest full Europe AND US maps on those models).

But then in an act of pure stupidity, they produced the "Flagship" Go1000/1005 units without one. There was such a backlash, that they have now seen sense and started putting them on ALL the recent models again (including the Go825 and the VIAs.

The Go1000 is not a current model now, so as I said, you won't find one on that. But TomTom being TomTom, they brought out a new version of the Go1005 and that now DOES. So if you find a cheap 1005 it might be the old type without a slot!

This is TomTom we are talking about , it's never going to be easy!!

There are two other main things to decide on....

Screen type ....
The Go 1000 and Go1005 have "better" screens that are "capacitive " and multi-touch capable (so you can use swiping gestures to change menu pages and pinch to zoom etc.) I find that a pointless gimmick and never use it.
I also find that I can't use a finger nail to operate the screen. However they are VERY bright and clear (although I find them very reflective too).

The cheaper models like the Go825 and the VIAs have the older resistive screens, less bright (although still an improvement on older models) less reflective and you can use a finger tip or nail.

Mount....
The Go1000/1005 have the old style separate windscreen mount where you can leave the mount on the screen (for short periods) and just remove the unit very simply. The GO 825 and the VIAs all have the new "Easy-port" mount. This a is permanently attached to the back of the device.and I find it a REAL fiddle to take the whole thing off and then reattach it and plug in the USB cable and then readjust th angle every time I go into a shop or pay for petrol. I suppose the positive is that it is always with the device and you don't forget it, but it makes it impossible to slip into a pocket.

I want excellent safety camera warnings, the rest of the features eg lane and traffic information etc I can take or leave, but some of them seem useful, eg a fuel price check against local petrol stations.

For camera warnings, my advice is to immediately switch off or uninstall the TomTom-supplied warnings and invest in the third-party database from PocketGPSWorld. It is far more up to date and accurate than TomTom's offering.

Fuel prices have been dropped in the UK for all new models although the older models are still getting them - they are pretty useless to be honest.

As for the LIVE Services, we've already discounted Speed cams and Fuel Prices, so that leaves the HD Traffic system (fantastic in theory, but suffering from a reduced range for the foreseeable future (see other topics about that!)) , the rather useful Navigate to Google Search, and weather reports.

If you can live without those, you may find it's worth looking at some of the "Start models too. There's the Start 20 and 25 (identical except for screen size" and the rather wonderful Start 65 with a huge, bright 6" resistive screen.
Avoid the Start 45 as that is a bizarre turkey - a return to the old "NAV2" software, which none of the other currently available units use.

So, I'm sorry I can't give you a simple list with all the differences on, because TT have blurred the differences between the ranges so much (and keep coming out with new variants with the same model numbers) that it needs considerable research to keep up and not make mistakes.
Super mod. mvl has been trying to do it for OUR comparison chart: Tomtom Model/Feature Reference, but even that is a bit out of date at the moment.

So all I can really suggest is you concentrate on the printed specs on the TomTom website for SCREEN SIZE AND TYPE, MOUNT TYPE, MEMORY SIZE and SD CARD SLOT.

Beware of advertising and feature lists on other websites and in shops as I've often found them to be confused or plain wrong - not the retailers fault, TomTom just make it too damned hard to work out the differences sometimes.

(Quote) TomTom just make it too damned hard to work out the differences sometimes.

Many thanks Andy P. This is a most comphrensive reply. I, think i need to read it about 3 times at least, before I even begin to take it in!!
From what you say the 1000 model from John Lewis is at a good price because it is now a discontinued model?
One of the reasons I choose to buy the Garmin 2340 was because I could at least get through to their customer service, (albiet after 20 minutes), but that was better than TomTom on whom I gave up after three attempts to contact them and wasting a total of 0ne and three quarters of an hour trying to get through. However as I said it was impossible to see the screen in sunlight, though whether this was a fault with model or the specific one i had i dont know.
With regard to things such as fuel prices, i was referring to the google search option which seems as though it could be very usefull.
Anyway I will study your reply and the printed specs as you suggest and try to come to a decision. Though i dont think i will go for the thrird party data base, it all seems a bit complicated ( and i guess expensive)
Any other suggestions from members or yourself would be most appreciated
Regards
villabbc

Sorry for late reply, been busy with other things.

I quite like the Go1000, but be prepared to have to remove the US map if you wan to update the Europe one (due to the space issues and no SD card slot.

I see from your other posts that you've now got through to TomTom customer support OK now.

Last I looked I think the third-party speed camera database from PGPSW was cheaper than TomTom's (but of course you get it free for a while after purchase.

Also, having run them both side by side many times, I know which one I trust!

The TomTom-supplied one used to be absolutely dreadful, and I'll admit it has steadily improved for normal FIXED cameras (although it still has many more errors). But for tempory cameras like roadworks SPECS (average speed) installations their data is often months out of date.

For mobiles, thy take a totally different approach to PGPSW. PGPSW log ALL locations where detection vans or police with rada guns have been seen in the last 6 months or a year.
TT try to only tell you about sites known to be active that day, and they depend on reports from users to get the data. I don't think it works well at all.

Sorry for late reply, been busy with other things.

I quite like the Go1000, but be prepared to have to remove the US map if you wan to update the Europe one (due to the space issues and no SD card slot.

I see from your other posts that you've now got through to TomTom customer support OK now.

Last I looked I think the third-party speed camera database from PGPSW was cheaper than TomTom's (but of course you get it free for a while after purchase.

Also, having run them both side by side many times, I know which one I trust!

The TomTom-supplied one used to be absolutely dreadful, and I'll admit it has steadily improved for normal FIXED cameras (although it still has many more errors). But for tempory cameras like roadworks SPECS (average speed) installations their data is often months out of date.

For mobiles, thy take a totally different approach to PGPSW. PGPSW log ALL locations where detection vans or police with rada guns have been seen in the last 6 months or a year.
TT try to only tell you about sites known to be active that day, and they depend on reports from users to get the data. I don't think it works well at all.

Thanks Andy, I have decided to get the 825 western Europe, from Pc World/Currys although £10 more expensive than the John Lewis price it works out cheper with the fuel cash back. Though I am still not sure whether it is bettter than the 1000 model or not, or whether it gives more services? I havent taken it out of its box yet, so I can still return it if i change my mind, and will wait till i see if there are any replies /observations here before i open it.:confused:
I will give the tomtom sfaety camera info the benefit of the doubt with their free trial and if I am not happy with it i will look into PGSW. I dont need, nor ever will need, the US maps. :)

Definitely don't by any GO 1005, 2035 or similar devices. Only have problems: I bought at US GO2535WTM (like 1005 in EU) and I consider I thrown away 300€ Reboots, update problems and now (after 8 month) touch screen doesn't work. I strongly recommend to consider other options

Definitely don't by any GO 1005, 2035 or similar devices. Only have problems: I bought at US GO2535WTM (like 1005 in EU) and I consider I thrown away 300€ Reboots, update problems and now (after 8 month) touch screen doesn't work. I strongly recommend to consider other options

Is that on the basis of ONE bad experience?
Although all the new NAV3 TomTom models have had a poor start in terms of software functionality, I've not heard of any screen failures, and I've used five or six Go1000 / 1015 /1005 models since they were launched.

Ask a Question