BlueTooth Problems in 8.35x

TomTom Model(s)
Go920
Since updateing to 8.350 (and then to 8.351), I've had a BlueTooth problem between my 920 and remote and my cell phone...

After connecting my 920 to TomTom Home, or pressing the Reset pin, I can connect my remote and cell phone for data connections with no problem.

After 3-4 days, my remote will stop connecting (it keeps flashing it's blue connecting light, and TomTom never says that the remote is connected). Then, usually 5 days later, my cell phone will no longer connect for data, but will still connect for hands-free and messaging.

Like I said earlier, I've discovered that I can restore these functions by resetting my TomTom, so it sounds like a software problem that hopefully will get fixed in yet another update (it's always interesting to discover what doesn't work after an update :().

Steve

Bluetooth problems too..

I too am experiencing problems in the last few days. I am using v8.351. My 920 won't connect to my phone. I have to delete the pairing in my phone and then sometimes it will connect. It only started this a few days ago. I don't think it is anything about my phone. I think it is all in the TomTom, but I don't know what the problem is. I am sure it isn't anything I can fix. I am guessing it is a software bug.

Funny. My tomtom 920 also stopped pairing with my phone a couple days ago. It would flash on and off, connect then disconnect. Since this resets the menu position, it made the tomtom all but unusable. Only way to navigate was to permanently delete my phone.

I have NOT updated my tomtom, nor have done anything but use it for several months. I thought I was gonna go fix it by updating it. Not sure if I should anymore....

Handsfree He<<

GO930 with v8.351 and my BlueTooth is now useless for handsfree.

The phone is a Samsung SGH-A516 (which I have never seen on the supported list) but which has traditionally been working well.

When I make a call, I hear it ring once or twice and then it is like the TomTom thinks the call has ended as soon as the other party answers. Once they answer, the TomTom no longer displays any phone related icons and you hear nothing. You can still go to the phone and use the options to "switch to phone" and then hear the other end, but as far as my GO930 is concerned, the call is done.

To summarize,

I call, I can hear it ring, once it is answered the call from the TomTom is dropped although the cellphone still thinks that the TomTom is handling the call.

Short of replacing the phone or GPS, any way I can get it to once again make me a hands-free legal driver?

*edited*

A MODERATOR MOVED MY POST INTO THIS THREAD

The symptoms are very different. The originator of this thread has hands-free. That is why I put this post in its own thread. Mine may are may not be due to 8.351.

Last edited:
I haven't used Bluetooth for about 3 versions now but decided to try it out on my cell phone right now and was shocked to see that the TomTom is STILL paired with my Sidekick 2008 after all this time. I attempted to make a phone call to T-Mobile customer service and it went through perfectly. There is one problem though that didn't exist before. I can no longer use my TomTom to enter in numbers once the call has started. When I try to bring up the touchpad I get the message "Not supported." I needed to press the number "2" so t-mobile could direct me as a "current customer" The only way I could continue the call is if I hit the number 2 from the cell phone itself. :(

Blah you jinxed me! Now that I tried making calls an hour later, everything is giving me messages that it's not supported.

Edit: It now works again after re-pairing the phone but I still get the "not supported" when attempting to use the keypad once I'm in a call.

dump25532124.jpg

dump25532120.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same problem. The help desk said to reset both, etc. It worked for a few days and then didn't connect. I just restored a prior version (8.300) which didn't have these problems so I'll see if it's okay. So far so good though.

paring problems

just wanted to put my two cents into this discusion. I have the 920 also and use the at&t raza V9 With these updates to the 8.351 I have NO problems with paring since purchasing my 920 and doing many updates. i guess its a matter of which cell phone you purchased and which cell phone company you are using with your cell phone. If you want alll the features of a cell phone and tomtom anything other then at&t you are taking a chance. Thats why the 740 live is so goodwith its sims chip in the unit.

For those with this problem, try downgrading back to 8.302. 8.35x and 8.302 have different bluetooth code, some phones work better with one version than the other.

In home, go to remove items -> items on my device -> application

Then go to "add traffic, voices, etc", "items on my computer", then look for application 8.302 and install it.

Just curious since I don't know. I've only used TomTom's for about a year. What was the last GO navcore version that was basicly trouble-free? Has any 8x version not introduced new problems?

Seriously? It is often felt the last rock solid Navcore version was 7.221, Gator. A new update to 7.48 caused some issues and so has each new one since then. Understand, not everybody was affected by glitches in each of the Navcores; but the glitches did (and do) exist.

Yes, it was a serious question. Just wanted to know if there was an application version that was generally safe to recommend to a user experiencing issues with their current update.

mvl often suggests that users with bluetooth issues in 8.350 or 351 roll back to 8.302.

I am using TMo BB 8120 and have rolled back to 8.302. Had issues with 8.35 and did not even try 8.351.

Hands free, data, and traffic work good. Not going to mess with it until a new app is certified by dnh as 100% problem free !

when you press the reset button tomtom before you turn it on , shut down your cell phone completely. Then turn on your cell and then turn on your tom tom. This worked on my unit but may not worik on yours I have the 920 pared with the raza v9 good luck

I am using TMo BB 8120 and have rolled back to 8.302. Had issues with 8.35 and did not even try 8.351.

Hands free, data, and traffic work good. Not going to mess with it until a new app is certified by dnh as 100% problem free !

I have a Pearl and Curve. What tmobile connections settings did you use to get data to work? Settings such as IP address, script, etc. :)

After the recent upgrade, my TomTom 930T would no longer connect to my Bluetooth phone (Palm 680).

I did a pin reset on the TomTom, and at the same time, did a battery reset on the Palm.

After they both came back to life, I set the Palm to have Bluetooth always visible (not hidden). Then, I repeated the pairing with the GPS. The GPS recognized the Palm 680 this time.

The first progress bar went to 100%. The second progress bar, for configuring the wireless data connection, only went to 65% then timed out. This is equal to the best that I could do under the older firmware, so if it works now, I'll be satisfied with it.

I have a Pearl and Curve. What tmobile connections settings did you use to get data to work? Settings such as IP address, script, etc. :)

Sage, what data plan do you have? Tomtom data only works with the $25/mo plan for those models, you need access to the internet2.voicestream.com gateway.

Connection settings should be the same across any compatible T-mo phone. I was successful with:
apn: internet2.voicestream.com
user: blank
password: blank
DHCP/DNS both set to auto
dial: *99#
init string set to: blank

Sage, what data plan do you have? Tomtom data only works with the $25/mo plan for those models, you need access to the internet2.voicestream.com gateway.

Connection settings should be the same across any compatible T-mo phone. I was successful with:
apn: internet2.voicestream.com
user: blank
password: blank
DHCP/DNS both set to auto
dial: *99#
init string set to: blank

I am grandfathered in at the old $20 price for the BB plan with unlimited texts. If I were to cancel the plan and re-add it, it would cost $24.99 with 300 or 400 texts or $34.99 for unlimited texts.

I forgot when it was that T-mo had raised their prices on their plans, but I know it was under a year ago.

Yup, I used to turn that plan on and off every time I traveled out of town. Last trip: no longer available.

That plan also gave you access to the internet2 gateway needed for PLUS services. Did the data settings work for you?

hay steve my hands free phone works fine but ime having problems with my data connection with tomtom services. i know its not my phone ime wondering if its a signal problem?

Ask a Question