TomTom iPhone Car Kit Bluetooth Problems

Hi,

I recently purchased the car kit for my iphone and I absolutly love it, it's better than what I was expecting and i'm really chuffed to bits with it. However i'm experiencing one little niggle that's frustrating me. I can't get the device to automatically connect the bluetooth connection when I dock my phone. Bluetooth is switched on my phone and the car kit is listed in the devices found, however when I touch the name and it attempts to connect it stayed "Not Connected".

If I hold the button on the side of the car kit until it makes the bleep noise, and I forget the device on my iphone, and restart the pairing, it asks for the password and then it connects and works. But as soon as I take my iPhone out of the kit, I have to repeat everything over again for it to connect.

Ideally, no matter how many times I remove my iPhone and dock it I want to two to be constantly paired and automatically connect, but this is not the case atm. I am led to believe that this should not be an issue?

Thanks for any help with my problem :)

Is your ciggy lighter socket that is used to power the TomTom car kit powered all the time irespective of the ignition switch in the car? if so try disconnecting the plug feeding the TT car kit at the end of a tript and plug it in again in prior to the next outing or get it re-wired so its switched by the ignition - Mike

Is your ciggy lighter socket that is used to power the TomTom car kit powered all the time irespective of the ignition switch in the car? if so try disconnecting the plug feeding the TT car kit at the end of a tript and plug it in again in prior to the next outing or get it re-wired so its switched by the ignition - Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply!

I think the socket is constantly powered even without ignition, but however I always unplug the car kit from the socket whenever I leave my car so I am essentially plugging it back in when I power up my car.

On todays journey I had less trouble getting the two to pair. Firslty I just held the volume button down on the car kit until it dinged and then under bluetooth pressed the car kit device and all I had to do was enter the 5555 password. So it was less than having to forget the device on my phone. It also reconnected when I removed the phone for 5 minutes and replaced it. So i'm not sure if it's just a little tempermental. I'll experiment a little more over the next few days.

When did you last fully power off the iPhone, I find sometimes a RESET NETWORK SETTINGS can cure all sorts of strange behaviour and doing this you won't lose any settings/ apps etc so its worth a try.

Personally I don't use the Bluetooth connection to my car kit as I have a better Bluetooth audio system in my car (iO-Play) which is used, the Bluetooth on the TomTom Car Kit is only used for the audio, the GPS signal is connected through the docking connector - Mike

Yea, can't remember ever turning my iPhone off since i've had it lol...

Will try your suggestion and will get back to you :)

Thanks again Mike.!

Hi Mike, just a quick update!

I've sorted the issue out now. I've found that if you put the iPhone in the cradle before you plug in the ciggy lighter to power it they pair and connect almost instantly. Bluetooth needs to be left on the iPhone and you can actually see the bluetooth icon top right of the screen blink and then connect and the cradle gives a soft beep to confirm that the bluetooth connection is connected!

Thanks for the help again :), it turned out to be quite simple in the end, just a specific way of doing things!

Ask a Question