Bizarre SD card behavior

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
I have two SD cards; one is a 2GB card formatted fat, the other is an 8GB SDHC card formatted fat32. If I put the 2GB card into my 920 and connect to my laptop the card is seen by Explorer and by Home with no problem. If I put the 8GB card into the 920 and connect to my laptop the card is not seen by Home. The Change Device option is grayed out. Further, if I click on it in Explorer is reports the card is not formatted. The 8GB card works fine in the SD card slot in the same laptop.

I read some message here on SD cards that seemed to indicate that SDHC cards worked fine, but had some quirks. I put some MP3s into a folder named mp3 on the 8GB card and put it in the 920. When I powered up the 920 (not connected to the laptop), I could see and play the MP3s.

So where is all this leading? I found a 4GB class 6 (high speed) card for $9.99. I figure I can put the North American maps and my MP3s on the SD card and have space to spare. The European maps can stay on the internal drive, which will also have space to spare. I guess us techies can never stop fiddling.

I have two SD cards; one is a 2GB card formatted fat, the other is an 8GB SDHC card formatted fat32. If I put the 2GB card into my 920 and connect to my laptop the card is seen by Explorer and by Home with no problem. If I put the 8GB card into the 920 and connect to my laptop the card is not seen by Home. The Change Device option is grayed out. Further, if I click on it in Explorer is reports the card is not formatted. The 8GB card works fine in the SD card slot in the same laptop.

I read some message here on SD cards that seemed to indicate that SDHC cards worked fine, but had some quirks. I put some MP3s into a folder named mp3 on the 8GB card and put it in the 920. When I powered up the 920 (not connected to the laptop), I could see and play the MP3s.

So where is all this leading? I found a 4GB class 6 (high speed) card for $9.99. I figure I can put the North American maps and my MP3s on the SD card and have space to spare. The European maps can stay on the internal drive, which will also have space to spare. I guess us techies can never stop fiddling.

I suspect this......

x20 units have no problem reading/writing to sdhc cards of 4 gigs or less. Your unit recognized it and all was well...

The same units CAN deal with > 4 gig cards if data is put on the card using Explorer and a card reader. I suspect you put the card in the unit with nothing on it and had Explorer try to 'see' it while it was in the unit. It won't unless the data was put there by Explorer when it exceeded the 4 gigs.

Or what you suggest will work, too. Put the NA map on the 8 gig card and the mp3 files in a mp3 folder. I strongly suggest the map folder gets put on the (empty) 8 gig card first. Then, use Explorer to create the mp3 folder and then copy the files into it.

I think you'll find once this is done and the card is inserted in the unit, not only will the 920 be able to access the stuff on the card but Explorer will 'see' the existence of the card even when its inserted in the unit.

SD cards

I have a 4 GB SDHC card in my GO 730 and have no issues with it. I have no idea how it's formatted, but Home sees it just fine while in the unit and so does Explorer.

Love the Morgan!

Last edited:
I have a 4GB class 6 SDHC card on order

I have a 4 GB SDHC card in my GO 730 and have no issues with it. I have no idea how it's formatted, but Home sees it just fine while in the unit and so does Explorer.

Love the Morgan!

I expect all will be well with the 4GB card. I'll know soon enough.

BTW, the Morgan is a sleeper. It has had a heart transplant and now runs an engine and gearbox from a 2005 Honda S2000, and it weighs about 800 pounds less than the S2000. PDQ!

Ask a Question