Be careful where you buy your next TomTom

You buy an item, whether it's a tomtom or anything else, and get it home just to find it's faulty within a day or so. Do you mean you REALLY would, at that point, send it back to the manufacturer rather than the point of purchase?

For TomToms:
Return it to the point of purchase and, most likely, you get a new one as a replacement. Return it for repairs to TT and chances are you will NOT get your 2 or 3 day old item back but, rather, a refurb unit that may be months old.

Now the refurb may be as good as new as they say. Even still ...

Uh, OK.. But, if it's defective, you can send it back to tomtom... Who cares about the retailer.

Very true. But there are some folks who would rather take a unit back to the point of purchase and get a new unit - or a different model. Maybe it's not defective - but not exactly what they were looking for in a GPS. Not saying that CC will be out of business very quickly, just a caution to new buyers.

Some businesses that have filed for bankruptcy have a sign posted outside that reads, 'all sales final'. I know I saw that outside "Linen and Things" a few weeks ago.

If I bought one within 30 days, there is no freaking reason that I have to send to the mfg. and not return at the retailer.
Someone loves to pay shipping fee (if applied) and spend some times off waiting for the unit to be fixed and sent back, not me. I would return to where I bought.

If I bought one within 30 days, there is no freaking reason that I have to send to the mfg. and not return at the retailer.
Someone loves to pay shipping fee (if applied) and spend some times off waiting for the unit to be fixed and sent back, not me. I would return to where I bought.

They mentioned earlier this year around May/June that Circuit City would be going under. Well sometimes you just simply can't return it to the retailer for reasons like this. I bought an APC UPS battery backup from CompUSA while they were in the "closing stores" phase. The unit was defective, and I called CompUSA not even 20 minutes after purchasing the item. You know what they said? "Sorry we can't take it back or exchange it, you'll have to contact APC"

So yea, they can deny you a return within the 30 day window if a company is in a near close status. Don't even DARE buying any replacement warranties through Circuit City either!

I went to the grand opening of CompUSA after they re-opened (Now owned by Tiger Direct) and I was standing at the register line to pay for my items, and nearby was a furious customer yelling at a manager wondering why his extended warranty he had purchased earlier was not being honored by CompUSA. The manager said "We purchased CompUSA's name, not their debt. The 3 warranty you purchased was from the original CompUSA, Not the CompUSA now, which is run by Tiger Direct. I'm sorry sir, we cannot help you."

Ouch.

And also, has anyone ever realized that Circuit City is nearly always almost empty compared to best buy? At least that's what it's like here in Tampa. Almost every here in Tampa, there is a Best Buy within walking distance of a Circuit City. I'm not joking. They are always THAT close together. Standing at the enterance of one store, you could see the other across the street. When ever I walk into a Circuit City, there's like 6 customers in there at max, is super quiet besides the music and whereas Best Buy is always full of people, and it sounds like a small cafeteria in there because of all the talking. CC has also screwed my friends over in the past with their jobs. They mis-lead you when it comes to job positions. Ok I'm off track, but you get the idea.

Who in the world DIDN'T see this coming for Circuit City?

Overall, do not buy any valuable electronics from Circuit City anymore.

Take a look at these interesting links.

Brands that will dissapear in 2008

http://money.aol.com/investing/brands-that-will-disappear-in-2008

Companies that may dissapear in 2008

http://money.aol.com/investing/companies-that-may-disappear-in-2008

These were pretty much predictions based on how things were going back then so I'm not sure.

Anything purchased at the CC stores being closed after the store closing announcement are final.

Before the chapter filing, anything purchased there before (plus at all other stores) was still returnable. CC will have the options under CH 11 debtor-in- possession to decide which existing obligations to honor and which to not. They will probably choose to try to transition without cutting of good will from customers, but their post-petition policies need to be spelled out and carefully considered.

They may come through this in one piece and I hope they do. The pricing by Best Buys has been getting more uncompetitive as others fall by the wayside. For that reason alone I am hoping CC can make it through OK. Their biggest obstacle will be the economy - I do not think we have seen the worst yet.

Right now, Best Buys is the last place that I would consider getting many electronic items - especially GPS devices. The online options are sometimes 1/2 their price.

Ask a Question