Bad experience with v. 8.010

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd edition
I have a One 3rd edition that has worked flawlessly for about three months. I've done all sorts of fun modifications (thanks to this site) and have been enjoying it immensely. I plugged it into the computer yesterday to find that the updated software was available. So I downloaded and installed it. What a mistake. On top of it all, I committed the cardinal sin of not restoring before the install.

After the install, the unit would freeze at the splash screen. Sometimes it would just hang there for several minutes and then finally turn on. Sometimes it would just freeze there and not come on. I also lost the use of the itinerary function. I had created a custom menu and had included the itinerary function. When I navigated to that page and tapped "itinerary", the unit froze at that point. I could not navigate, it would not respond to taps on the screen, and I could not shut it off manually. Had to reset.

After fooling with it for several hours, I finally copied my old files from a restore I had done about a month ago to get the old v. 7166 back up and running. Had to re-download the latest map again, had to reload the voices I had downloaded, had to re-find and re-download the car icons, had to do a lot of the little customizations again -- what a pain.

One question for the TomTom masters. After all was said and done, I was able to get the unit pretty much back to where I started before the errant install. However, one funny thing is happening. When I start the unit, it displays the "splash.bmp" picture that I copied to the root directory. However, when I shut down, the "antitheft.bmp" picture (that I also copied to the root directory) does not display. The "splash.bmp" picture comes up again at shutdown. Anyone know why this might be? It did not do this before the install/re-copy disaster.

~Chris

Yeah, the Navcore 8 release screwed things up big time for many users, including breaking the custom menu functionality of some units, as you have sadly found out.

A couple of thoughts about the antitheft.bmp. Make sure your settings are such that the shutdown warning IS checked in preferences. If it is, try renaming the file to shutdown.bmp and see if it is recognized now.

The N8 software release has been pulled from non x30 users -- for good reason. I would check back in this forum now and then over the next while if you see it offered as an update BEFORE taking the plunge again. It will not be numbered 8.010 as the other one was. No prize for being 'first in the neighbourhood' when it comes to anything offered by TomTom :( :(

The N8 software release has been pulled from non x30 users -- for good reason.
I read that last night on this forum, but for my TT-3rd edition - it was still offered as an update. Just checked again this morning (6/10-08) and v 8.010 is still being offered. So beware!! I know I'm not planning on updating anytime soon... as long as the TomTom 'expert' code writers are at work. TomTom must have some of the worst code writers out there.

'expert' = X is a has-been; 'spert' is a drip under pressure.:rolleyes:

Ask a Question