Bad news for TomTom and Garmin

Bad news from TomTom??? Do you know who Apple is contracting with for maps for their units now that they have parted ways with Google?

I'll give you a hint.....

TELEATLAS

Yes I knew.
But the profit from selling maps to Apple might not offset the loss due to the decrease in Car Navigation units sale. But at least they are better off than Garmin as the article suggested.

I think TomTom and Garmin will be fine. Apple is barely making a dent against the Android market, they definitely are not going to dominate the GPS market... not yet anyway. ;)

billybisme, if you are clicking the red triangle on the right side of each post, please do not do so.

Very weird...... your last post also appeared to me (as a moderator) as a post needing moderation.

Can you reply to this post in the Message box below and ONLY click on 'post quick reply'

Every time I post it popups saying it has to be approved by a moderator first. I just joined today. Hopefully that helps. I wont post anymore until it gets figured out. :)

It shouldn't be doing that. You should be able to post straightaway after joining. I'll draw attention to this weirdness to the admin here.

Every time I post it popups saying it has to be approved by a moderator first. I just joined today. Hopefully that helps. I wont post anymore until it gets figured out. :)

Sorry about this - the anti-spam system we're running has several layers to it. One of them will place any posts it's unsure about in to the moderation queue automatically - it looks like your IP or username has appeared on a spam blacklist somewhere for some reason. This particular post scanning threshold stops at 10 posts, so I've temporarily upped your post count to prevent it from happening on your next 3 posts.

Once you've read this post, do let me know and we can split these posts out to somewhere else to get the thread back on topic :).

Weird... I doubt it's my IP (I'm at work), maybe I should start using a different user name. Thanks for your help. :)

I think it's this: you created a signature with a link to a commercial site. Not allowed here. Even though the sig isn't showing, I guess the board software has picked it up.

I've deleted the signature.

Apple partnership = no more TomTom's for me

I was hoping they'd go Android.

Despite owning about 11 TomTom's, since their first release until now - two current 2535's (I purchased for my employees as well), it sounds like I'm done.

I have several Android devices, and ever since my Apple //c, have always been very anti-Apple (I don't believe in anything they stand for, their leadership, lack of philanthropy, child labor issues, Apple Tax, reality distortion fields, and more).

For these reasons and more, if TomTom takes even the smallest "bite" out of Apple - at least without an equal Android involvement, I pledge to never buy a TomTom device again. Or any other device with Apple built-in for that matter.

Frankly, I think Waze is kicking their butt anyway. Hmm, let me see, off the top of my head ... I can be social, join groups, earn points. use home screen widgets, it LEARNS my route preferences, I get more frequent map & program updates, better traffic flow info, info about crashes, included gas price info, and most importantly where the Police traps are! All on my existing Android phone for FREEEEEEEEE.

I was hoping they'd go Android.
Perhaps you missed this thread down in the Mobile area? (link ==>) https://www.tomtomforums.com/t28058-tomtom-android-slated-summer-rollout.html

Most anyone who actually knows anything is pretty much in "don't ask, don't tell" mode, though.

They don't have the bodies (evidently) to attack all platforms at once, so whichever side you were on when they flipped the coin to decide where to start, somebody was going to be offended.

Apple partnership = no more TomTom's for me

Yeah, I saw that ... I'll believe it when I see it :) If it's even offered in the States. Their "Places" app only works in their backyard (The Nether-regions).

That one sentence was more a commentary about their apparent PARTNERSHIP with Apple (the start of this entire thread). I want TomTom leadership to understand that it's not a "who is first" decision in my case ... but a cohorting with the enemy issue, and they'll lose me as lifetime customer as a result (irregardless of any overpriced bones they throw the Android Market).

You'll notice the majority of my commentary is about Waze, for-the-win! :thumb:

Haha, wow ... then I shall stop using Waze sometime in the future then too :roll:

If they "bake" it into iPoop 6, they might as well "kill it off" as it will become dead to me, and I'll be off to the next new product that doesn't put $$$ in Apple's coffers.

I'm still not entirely clear ...

If a company's product(s) support(s) iOS AND Android, you still won't use it?

Ask a Question