Is TomTom really that bad?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730, XL IQ Routes Edition, VIA 1605
Whenever I see a TomTom model in a online shopping site with reviews, they are uniformly horrible. New units take forever to set up and last for mere minutes before they fail, customer service is miserable, etc. What's going on here? Is TomTom really that bad?

I've had a Go 730 since 2008 and don't know how I managed without it. It soldiers on year after year and works great. I keep it regularly updated and don't seem to have any problems with it. The battery eventually crapped out, so I replaced it and this has restored the unit to better than new condition. I now make it a point to operate the until on battery power regularly to keep the new battery conditioned.

Has TomTom taken a nosedive or are these online reviews not representative of the product? Garmin conspiracy?

The internet is full of forums/reviews etc. of people who tend to have issues or complaints with any product, gps or car or dishwasher, etc. Thousands who have good experiences tend not to make posts of positive things.

That said, what you are reporting in your first paragraph is not correct. Yes, the newer models involve a different paradigm for the user since there is no access to the file system such as there is with your 730. But 'last for minutes'???? 'Take forever to set up' ??? Let's get serious.....

And as for using your 730 on battery, not charger? That's a good way to ensure you'll be buying another battery soon....... the units were meant to be used with chargers, that's why one was provided with the unit.

The 730 was a fine model and for sure the newer models do not have the feature set the 730 does. If it works for you, I'd hang on to it.

I have an experience I would like to share. Last December I received an email ad from Tomtom advertising a Go2505TM for $119.95 for one day only. Well I tried to order it on that day but the price was $199.95. I called customer service and was told to order it at the higher price and would be refunded the difference. We I thought the were bullcrapping me but placed the order and paid with Paypal and then submitted the items requested and in less than 24hrs I received the refund of the difference. I love the Go2505 and Tomtom customer service.

I've had a Go 730 since 2008

And my Go 720 2006 easily compares to anything in the current line.

User error [and absolute incompetence] typically's behind those complaints
about TomToms. Some need Mom&Dad to program it before "lil johnny" leaves
for his 3 mile commute to work. :cool:

Go 720

I also have a GO 720 that I like and have used "for ever". It would nice to update to a more recent unit, but TomTom decided to remove the FM transmitter option on all new models, so I decided to continue to use my 720 until it dies, and then switch back to a Garmin 750 that I still have.

That said, what you are reporting in your first paragraph is not correct. Yes, the newer models involve a different paradigm for the user since there is no access to the file system such as there is with your 730. But 'last for minutes'???? 'Take forever to set up' ??? Let's get serious.....

No, my reporting is accurate. That's what people are saying. Perhaps I should have written "Reviewers report that..." It's perfectly believable that some units will fail virtually out of the box. This is the nature of electronic devices; a few will fail right away, most will last something close to the mean time to failure and a few will go on virtually forever. What troubles me is the ratio of negative reviews to positive ones, around 4:1. That's not good. Other brands get much higher marks.

And again, this is contrary to my personal experience. Let me make it clear I'm not bashing TT, but the world at large sure seems to be. Maybe it's just the reviews on the one site. They seem to do better at Amazon.

And as for using your 730 on battery, not charger? That's a good way to ensure you'll be buying another battery soon....... the units were meant to be used with chargers, that's why one was provided with the unit.
Most of the time it is on the charger, but as with any rechargeable battery (and this includes your notebook computer), it needs exercise or it will develop a memory and lose much of its capacity. The original battery never had much capacity to begin with, and could only operate the unit for perhaps an hour before it was flat. I left it plugged in whenever it was in use and the battery fairly rapidly lost whatever capacity it had. This new one is good for over 2 hours, and by occasionally and regularly unplugging it and letting the battery take the load to about half charge, it should stay healthier longer. A Li-ion battery like this one should be good for 1000 charges when handled this way.

If you never run the unit on the internal battery, why have the battery in the first place?

The 730 was a fine model and for sure the newer models do not have the feature set the 730 does. If it works for you, I'd hang on to it.
I intend to.

No more FM transmitter? I was wondering about that. It's a feature I like and use often as I often drive vintage cars with vintage sound systems.

Sincee TomTom units are meant to be used in a car, batteries are there almost as a backup. Don't misunderstand me. You CAN use the unit not connected. In fact, there is a walking option under planning preference in most models. It's just that it won't last long that way. Maybe a couple of hours at best. Some Garmin models are indeed hand-helds and batteries last 6 or 8 hours. And are easily replaceable. Not TT batteries.

... but as with any rechargeable battery (and this includes your notebook computer), it needs exercise or it will develop a memory and lose much of its capacity.

Old technology NiCd batteries do have this "memory effect", but the LiPo batteries used in most devices these days (including TomToms) use a totally different chemistry, and don't,

Last edited:
... but as with any rechargeable battery (and this includes your notebook computer), it needs exercise or it will develop a memory and lose much of its capacity.

Old technology NiCd batteries do have this "memory effect", but the LiPo batteries used in most devices these days (including TomToms) use a totally different chemistry, and don't,

Unlike the old NiCd batteries that you were told to discharge ever so often (some cellphones actually came with a quick discharge feature, like the Nokia 5110), Li batteries do not like to be fully discharged. Just keep them plugged in and use them on their own in emergency situations. My laptop is almost always plugged in and if I have a power cut at home (welcome to paradise <sigh>) I use the battery to give me enough time to shut down.

I have an xxl550tm, and the ONLY complaint I had was the clock sync function, but with dhn's help I've been able to clear that up and now have absolutely no complaints against my Tom Tom now... best GPS I've ever owned!

As to the lithium packs now in use, there is one oddity about how they like to be treated ..

If you plan to shelve your unit for a considerable time, it is best NOT to do so at 100% charge. Run it down to around 50% beforehand.

Ask a Question