Good News, Bad News

TomTom Model(s)
Rider
The good news: my TT Rider survived not one, but two drops from the motorcycle at 40 - 50mph and kept on working (once the memory card was retrieved); the bad news: after many miles, I lost any confidence with the cradle and had to employ this sophisticated restraint system.

wow!
I know RAM has mounts for the Rider.
I also heard a while back that TomTom was giving away free Rider straps. Just in case your unit came off the mount, it wouldn't drop on the ground because of the strap.

Thats true, a colleague of mine got one.
Even with that theres still a problem of rider safety if it comes off and dangles so it e.g. fouls the steering.

I use a RAM mount but that's just for securing the TT Rider cradle to the bike - I'm afraid you still have to use the TT cradle, itself. The strap would help from watching the unit bounce down the street for sure.

There is also the problem of a constant power connection between the unit and the cradle.

The TT Rider 2 has a new mount/cradle, I think but I haven't heard how that has improved things...

I use a Wunderlich supply mount for my rider.
Take a look at https://www.multi-pod.de/go.to/modix/2,203192,203867/haltesysteme_zubehoe.html

It embraces the original cradle and also provides a kind of antitheft, because you have to use a special key to take the Rider out.

You can order this item by part number 8600880 on http://www.bmwsantacruz.com/

I use it for approx. 12 months and am really satisfied with it. Now I'm sure not to get problems with the rear contacts or "flying" devices.

Or take a look at http://www.touratech-usa.com/ for a variety of affordable RAM mounts. They are too big for my cockpit, so I preferred the Wunderlich item.

Haus - thanks for that great information! It's been a while since I have gone looking for a new Rider cradle and had not seen either the multi pod or the latest Touratech mounts for the TT Rider - much appreciated.

I think the mulit pod is the way to go for me as well for space reasons.

There is also the problem of a constant power connection between the unit and the cradle.

I called TT support and they are shipping me a new cradle for this very reason. I've used 2 power cables thinking it was the cable, when it looks to have been the cradle that was the issue.

I use the Rider more in the car (right now) so I was a bit miffed that the car adapter has out of stock for so long. The customer service rep pointed me to mobileplanet.com for a car mount.

I called TT support and they are shipping me a new cradle for this very reason. I've used 2 power cables thinking it was the cable, when it looks to have been the cradle that was the issue.

I use the Rider more in the car (right now) so I was a bit miffed that the car adapter has out of stock for so long. The customer service rep pointed me to mobileplanet.com for a car mount.

Yea, they did the same with me (sent a couple of new cradles) and it does seem to help although you never feel completely safe when on the bike because unless you check the battery status while riding you can't be sure if the battery power has shut off, or not.

I just got the Wunderlich multipod secure, off-road cradle and mounting arm and have it installed on my bike. The Rider is now very securely "cradled" and I expect the power issue to be much better because of the tight fit of the unit within the double cradle system. More money then I feel I should have had to invest for a GPS that was designed for a motorcycle, but what are you going to do?

I used to use the TT Rider in the car quite a bit too - can't remember how I got the car kit finally but I did. However, I just ordered a TT Go 510 for the car so I will finally have a better sound option out of the car GPS - I could never get the TT Rider bluetooth to connect to a BT speaker .

I could never get the TT Rider bluetooth to connect to a BT speaker .

I had picked up a Motorola T305 for that, but it was so hit and miss with the audio, that I went back to wearing my Jabra BT500 synced to the TT Rider. It works quite well, but wearing the headset for hours on end is not fun. I really should have just kept my TT 700, but I wanted to be able to have GPS on the bike...

I hear you Thom. I got the TT Rider first for the bike and then realized it was pretty good for the car as well minus the sound configuration. Voice was not worth having to wear the earpiece, especially as it interfered with other sound like music. In fact, I have hardly ever "listened" to the Rider, either on the bike or the car. Too bad I had to pay for BT I guess but I have been pretty happy with just looking at the screen occasionally to see where I am headed.

It feels a little over the top to be now getting the 510 for the car in addition to the Rider on the bike(s), but I do look forward to using the phone through the 510 in the car and got the FM transmitter as well so that I can play my iPod through it and the car speakers too. We'll see how the sound quality holds up...

Ask a Question