Bad Experience w/ 920 and tomtom support

Hello All,
Great information on the forum. I'm writing to get some advice on how to go about getting a problem resolved with my go 920. I had it for about a month in Feb when it started to give me problems. After spending days on the phone with their support, they finally decided my unit was bad and I RMA'd it. When I got it back, i went through the usual pains of the account not working due to the new device, along with other things like someone's old audio book coming on while i was driving. That's the funny part... the rest is lame.

I finally got it hooked up to the computer to get the map updates when low and behold I noticed the safety cameras weren't there anymore (I frequent Europe a lot and it's actually the reason I got the TomTom). After spending more days on the phone w/ tomtom support, one of their representatives tells me that the cameras are a "trial version" and the only way to get them back is to order their subscription. I had them on the device before the RMA, and now it's "expired"? I sent a message to their support line, with no response yet. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Another thing that I need to get resolved is that in the midst of trying to get things working one of the techs walked me through deleting my maps, and re-adding them. This brought up the problem of "not enough space on device" in which another rude tech told me i'd have to go and purchase an SD card to fit the maps on there. I'll still need to call again because I now have a free SD card, but the US maps aren't available for download to my acct anymore. I hope I don't walk away from this thinking I should've got a Garmin for less :(

Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with the unit. You say you've had it about a month but then you say you started having trouble with it in Feb?? :confused:

I would keep calling TT until I got someone that could solve my issues.

I hope TomTom reads these forums and take them into account as I've seen several times in the last short while people wondering if they should have gone with brand G. I think if they work on their customer service and give people what they want these types of statements will cease.

Good luck with getting your issues resolved.

ya, I bought it in Feb or March. and used it for about a month... after numerous web support incidents and calls to tomtom support they finally concluded that something was wrong with the device. I then proceeded to RMA it back to Tomtom. After having it for about another 2-3 weeks, I get it back. I plug it in to get the updates and find that the cameras aren't on the device, the maps are too big to update and I can't register my device because I had registered the original in the last 6 months. Could it be that they don't expect a customer to buy another TomTom in the same time period? So far it's been 2 days with no update to my web-support response. Currently my status is I have only the European maps, no U.S. maps and no European safety cameras which were originally installed on the device at the time of purchase. I also have a 2GB SD card to put the maps that won't fit on my device waiting to be installed. This is so frustrating... Anyone else have a similar problem or suggestions on how to go about approaching this? I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for a day or two and hope they're actually working on my problem. After that I'll probably keep calling and do my best to stop anyone I know from purchasing a tomtom again.

Update:
Thanks Bama Rambler, your suggestion was very helpful. I called back and this time just got in contact w/ an extremely helpful individual. He was very pleasant to talk to unlike the lady I had prior, who was rather spiteful from the beginning of the call. I've had to deal with their support for the last 4 months constantly, and had only one bad incident, which was enough to send me over the edge and blog it here. So for future reference, if you have a bad experience, ask to speak to a manager immediately. If the support staff disconnects you prior to being able to speak to a manager, call back (you will almost definitely get a different person) and reference your last call asking for a manager. TomTom support ultimately helped me with my problem and I am again a pleased customer.

Glad to hear you got resolution to your issue. So many times we don't get to hear the outcome unless it's not what the person wanted.

It's not just TomTom either. I've been fighting with a very large company about customer service. I finally called their customer relations department and was put in touch with a person who was able (and more importantly willing) to help. Sometimes persistance is the key.

Ask a Question