Auto-Start / Auto-On feature?

Hi! Please understand I'm new to Tomtom.

Ive been using Garmin Nuvi for few years, and found some great deal on Tomtom One 140s, so I got it.

However, I just found that it doesn't have autostart feature, which turn on the unit when the power supply is on.

Is there anyway I can have that feature? I searched everywhere, but all I see is 2 years old thread.

I'm going to install the tomtom under my dashboard, so this feature is very critical for me.

If you have any idea, please let me know!

Thank you in advance!!

Unfortunately, auto on functionality does not exist for TomTom models. It did once (over 2 years ago) but not now...

Thanks! but is there anyway I can downgrade to that firmware? or anyone knows if they will add the feature?

That firmware is so old, I don't think there are copies of that version around. And, even if you did downgrade, you'd lose all the functionality newer versions utilize with the recent maps.

Perhaps in the future, an application update will again include 'auto-on'. You are not the only one requesting it, for sure.

Never have seen an auto on feature, but thought the auto off feature was deleted during an update. I later found that feature when turning the screen brightness down one night. After turning the screen brightness down there was an option to have the unit turn off when power is disconnected.

The last Navcore to support auto Power on for Go-x10 devices was pre Navcore 6,51, the files I have on the PC relating to 6,51 are dated July 2006 so its earlier than that! (Probably closer to four years ago)

Unless TomTom decide to re-introduce this on some of their products I would forget about it as its not viable to port such old Navcore software intended for different hardware to your device - in a nutshell it simply won't work! - Mike

Thank you very much for reply!

Please understand my noobness, but is Navcore means like built-in firmware?

If so, What model (with 3.5") do i have to buy in order to get auto-on feature?

I sold my 140s because of that, but I really need 3.5" inch tomtom screen. Only tomtom fits into my dashboard :(..

Thank you in advance and happy new year!

Yes, the Navcore refers to the firmware on a unit. Unfortunately, at this time, NO TomTom models come with firmware that enables the 'auto on' feature.

Yes, the Navcore refers to the firmware on a unit. Unfortunately, at this time, NO TomTom models come with firmware that enables the 'auto on' feature.

yea, so I'm looking to buy used one with that feature. With hope that there are still exist in market lol...

Thank you

Even if you purchas e a second hand 910 or 710 to get it working with Auto power on and off will require Navcore pre 6,51 which isn't easy to get hold of and your maps will be so out of date they won't be worth bothering with - you cannot use the upto date maps with the old Navcore it simply won't work!

If auto on/ off is such a big deal have a look at some of the other makes to see if they offer such a feature - Mike

yea actually its the most important feature to me, because I'm going to install the unit underneath the dash, so I cannot reach the power switch once I install.

Garmin nuvi has the feature, but the mainboard is bit too big for the braket thingy :(

Thank you very much for the information!

Happy new year :)

Can someone explain why TomTom insists of randomly adding and removing features for seemingly no good reason??

Thinking I was doing her a favor, I updated my sister's 910 (which ran some ancient software and would not auto-poweroff when disconnected) to the latest firmware. Now it is powering off (yay) but won't auto-power on. Thinking I missed something I searched and came across this thread. I am shocked that TomTom folks can't figure out something as basic as being able to deal with powering a device on AND off in same firmware - and this is in what was their top of the line device..

Any Ideas on how to fix this? I doubt going back to old software is an option :-(

-HH

In fact, going back to the old firmware with that functionality IS the only way to get auto-on back.

Maybe a future application update will bring it back ... but I wouldn't hold my breath. :eek:

In fact, going back to the old firmware with that functionality IS the only way to get auto-on back.

Maybe a future application update will bring it back ... but I wouldn't hold my breath. :eek:

Well, that's apparently not really true. I have no idea why or how - i did not change anything - but it suddenly started working again with the latest firmware (7.903). It still needs a map upgrade, but at this point I am afraid to touch it.

I think TT may be wise to add a QA department to their staff. Things like this (and other horrible decisions, like bluetooth remote) should have never left the factory.

-HH

Are you saying the unit DOES have auto power on with Navcore 7.903?

If so, if you can remember what you did to implement that functionality (again), you'll make thousands of users on both sides of the Atlantic very happy. Really.

Are you saying the unit DOES have auto power on with Navcore 7.903?

If so, if you can remember what you did to implement that functionality (again), you'll make thousands of users on both sides of the Atlantic very happy. Really.

Ok, as far as I can tell I did not do anything. I simply upgraded it to 7.903. I set it to auto power off on unplug. When I tested this with the home dock, it worked for "power off" but NOT for "power on". However the next day in the car it suddenly started doing both - power on when car is started (and lighter plug gets power) and power off when engine is turned off (after 10 second delay). Unfortunately the shaking of the car makes the tomtom constantly think its being powered off - I am guessing its a loose contact with the base issue - need to investigate.

Perhaps it is hardware dependent - this is on GO 910.

-HH

Hi! I just stopped by this forum to see if they upgraded this feature. Thank you in advance!

Matt K

I am not aware that any of the newer applications for any models have restored that functionality.

I just started looking at possibly purchasing a Tomtom XXL 550 and found this info about there not being an auto-on feature. Is that still true? Latest info I could find by searching here is in this thread and about 10 months old, so I thought I would ask if TomTom has come to its senses and added this feature. Lack of this feature is a deal breaker for me.

Well, afraid you'll need to look to some other brand than TomTom for none of the TT models come with auto-on functionality.

Ask a Question