POLL: auto wakup on car start, yes/no?

Would you like your TomTom to start automatically when you start your car?

• Yes, I want my TomTom to wake up automatically when I start the car.

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • No, I want to start my TomTom manually.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I want to be able to select automatic or manual startup.

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
auto wakup on car start, yes/no?

i'm a long term tomtom go910 user and two days ago i bough a one xl for my second car.
to my astonishment, i noticed that this new device does not automatically wake up when i turn the ignition switch and i have to switch it on manually ever time i use it.
now because i like the fact that the navigation devices show the speed more accurate then my cars speedometer and it also warns me if i'm driving over the speedlimit, my tomtom is always on if i'm driving, even if it's not used for navigation.

a asked the customer support for help and they told me, the auto wakup function was removed because their customer requested this.

i would like to know your opinion on this topic.

depended on the results, this might lead to an on line petition that would cover the most criticized points on the tomtom.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking this poll

a asked the customer support for help and they told me, the auto wakup function was removed because their customer requested this.

The explanation given by customer service makes no sense. I recently bought my fourth GPS, first one by TT, and the TT is the only one that prevents auto on. My guess is that TT simply found removing this feature to be more cost effective, either from a hardware perspective or because it results in fewer returns (afterall, the less the TT is on, the less likely it is to break).

In any event, I'm going to give it a couple more weeks and if I can't find a workaround, I'll be returning my TT for a refund.

Just a quick update.

I recently contacted TT customer service and was informed that the reason auto on is disabled is to protect the battery.

I have no idea why disabling auto on would protect the battery or why TT customer service seems to have a million different excuses for why they disable this feature. Maybe their customer service reps just don't know why auto on is unavailable and fabricate reasons to pass the time.

Just out of curiosity, if anyone else has heard from TT regarding its reasons for disabling this feature, I'd appreciate it if you could post the reason here.

Ask a Question