Any New Models with Itinerary Function?

Possibly. We do have a user "boersma1974" here from NL, but joined 17 June 2011 and no visits since 19 June 2011.

Speaking to a Nav3 device is one thing (e.g., uploading already allowed custom content such as a POI file as might be done via "Manage Content" with MyTT). Causing the device to follow an itinerary from an imported list is another altogether. That requires a lot more than 'speaking' to the device. As far as all of us know, the device firmware isn't capable of providing that function no matter what files you load to the unit.

I'd say the jury is still out until someone has a copy in hand to play with and can provide more detailed functional information.

I though I'd posted here last night but I obviously must have closed the window before "sending" it.

I'm still VERY unconvinced that there is anything new here....

I'll be very interested to see if Tyre really can "communicate" with a NAV3 model directly, but somehow I doubt it.
And we have been suggesting you make a POI file of all the points you want to visit on a journey and to upload it to the device using MyTomTom for AGES.

It still doesn't alter the fact that a NAV3 TomTom cannot (and never will be able to) create a route using more than 3 waypoints and never will be able to load or save those routes externally.
So all you can do is use those POI locations to manually add them as waypoints three at a time, or just navigate to them one after the other.

@Andy
It's possible they've 'wiresharked' the 'Add Community Content' and, like Nav2, are merely doing from Tyre what we've all been doing manually. I never checked to see if TomTom used SSL for the 'Add Community Content' procedure. I was always more interested in the comms back and forth from NL.

The admin of the Discussions forum at TT has sent a request to Jan Boersma to see if he would share his 'here is what I've done' with the community there.

One can only assume some cooperation with TomTom, or some reverse engineering of the connection (which may not be appreciated).

I don't follow there, so if you'll cross post when you run across any new info, much appreciated.

Here's the response:

Jan replied with the following - I'll have to try it myself sometime this week:

Yes, Tyre supports Nav3 devices now too, but the usage is limited of course, since Nav3 does not support itinerary files.
But once I found out how to manipulate POI files on Nav3 devices, Michel and I started thinking about an alternative for using itinerary files.
This is what we came up with:
- Plan your route with Tyre.
- When you want to copy the route to your Nav3 device, Tyre will follow these steps:
  • It will create a list of POIs along the route, a new POI for each 50 meters (approximately).
  • The list will be split into 5 other lists, where #1, #6, #11, etc. will be in the first list; #2, #7,#12,etc. in the second list, and so on.
  • Those 5 lists will be saved in 5 different .ov2 files, each with their own bitmaps, where the file numbers (1,2,3,4,5) appear in the bitmaps.
  • Tyre will copy the 5 .ov2 files, the 5 bitmaps, and some additional information to the /personal/pois/ folder on the Nav3 device.
- Now you have a trip that will appear on the map as a line, composed with POIs. Just follow them, starting at POI #1 to POI #2, etc. After #5, it starts from the beginning: #1, #2, etc.

That is how things work technically. For users it is enough to copy the ‘route tracks’ to their devices.
And of course this feature will also work for Nav2 devices and for TomTom app for Android.
For a special group of bikers it will enable them to plot an ‘off road’ route.

Sounds like what I was anticipating, though didn't realize it would be anywhere near as dense as 50m. So you just follow the bread crumbs, is that it?

What does the (potentially) enormous number of concurrent POI items on the display do to the performance, one wonders?

And this info as well:

Good news for people who don’t have the ‘Itinerary Planning’ feature on their devices: now it is possible to simulate an itinerary by using route tracks. They will be displayed on you screen as a lot of POI that make a route line together.
Also handy for people who don’t like the fact that TomTom devices don’t have the option to disable recalculating the route.

The only thing you will miss using this feature, is the lack of route instructions.
This new feature is available from the ‘TomTom’ menu: select ‘Route tracks’

First we have a couple of answers
1. it's a list of POIs, as we thought
2. there is no new "magic" way to create (or save) proper itineraries on NAV3 models, as we thought. I reckon that's BAD wording on those press releases....

But now hang on.....

If the list of POIs is as dense as every 50 metres or so, then that means it would be daft to actually try to "Navigate to..." each of them in turn.

So is Jan just suggesting people keep an eye on the screen and follow the "ribbon" of icons that appear? (with possible display slowdows, as canderson says)
But surely that would mean driving with no route planned, and therefore no visual or audible navigation instructions at all!
(and hence no ALG or reality view either....)

Ask a Question