Any New Models with Itinerary Function?

TomTom Model(s)
go730 xl via1605
I'm looking for a replacement for my GO730, which may be on its death bed. The itinerary function is critical for me, as I use it to plan club drives where I want to choose the exact roads I want to use. I know the new VIA and START units do not have the itinerary function. Does any currently available TT unit for in car navigation incorporate the Itinerary function that can be used with TYRE?

Thanks.

Rumor has it (and those who have 'touched' these units say it is much more than a rumor) that the "new" units just announced will FINALLY give us back our itinerary planning. These will be the GO 400, GO 500, GO 600 and GO 6000 units.

Also, the lower end Start 40/45/50/55 units may still allow for *.itn files (at least it's the right platform -- can someone confirm if the feature is present?), and the newest version of the Rider model even comes shipped with a copy of Tyre.

. . .. Does any currently available TT unit for in car navigation incorporate the Itinerary function that can be used with TYRE?

Thanks.

Still available, new "old" model 340 which would do what you'd want on AMAZON . Several different models depending whether you want lifetime maps, RTS-TMC traffic, or any combination.

There are still some NOS units around, but the good news (in addition to my GO730 not being dead) appears to be that they are bringing the Itinerary function back on new GO models.

Rumor has it (and those who have 'touched' these units say it is much more than a rumor) that the "new" units just announced will FINALLY give us back our itinerary planning. These will be the GO 400, GO 500, GO 600 and GO 6000 units.

Eh? Where did you hear that? (was it dhn?)

There's definitely no itinerary planning on those new units at the moment, and I've not heard even the tiniest suggestion that it's coming.
(although I've only actually touched a 500 so far)

Last edited:
So how would you plan a route with multiple stops in the current fleet of TTs if there is no Itinerary function?

So how would you plan a route with multiple stops in the current fleet of TTs if there is no Itinerary function?

You don't.

You can program as many as 4 via points, but that's it. That's not good enough for me. TomTom has forgotten that some people treat driving as a recreation in itself and want to choose exactly what roads they want to drive on.

They would actually do well t make a deal with TYRE and ship every new unit with a copy of TYRE Pro on it.

In the Nav 3 devices, you can add 3 or 4 (depending upon model) waypoints. BUT, the route you've chosen cannot be saved as an itinerary to retrieve at a future time.

All in all, pretty crappy.

On NAV4, you can add "stops" (what used to be called "waypoints" on older models).
I thought they were restricted to 4 like on the NAV3 TomToms, but now it seems you can add more. But you still need to add them manually one at a time, by tapping on the map or by searching for an address.

There is no way (currently) to load or save a route including stops.

Interesting... So they limited the number of waypoints from an itinerary to 3 or 4? Wow, I didn't even notice (Sorry, haven't been keeping up with the latest units). Glad I still have mine!

It's similar to my in-car nav. It's limited to 5 destinations in its "itinerary". And no, it can't be saved.

It's similar to my in-car nav. It's limited to 5 destinations in its "itinerary". And no, it can't be saved.
I think Andy_P had touched on this elsewhere a few days ago and I have posted for years that I had stopped using itineraries.
Instead, I have made multiple POIs to City Center (fastest way to select).

I used to have an itinerary to go from Toronto, ON to Albany, NY, driving typically twice a year.
I gave our friends an ETA and depending on stops would make some detours from the planned route.
Driving through the Adirondacks, having some time to spare and seeing an interesting road going off the appointed one, I would take it. Then I had to constantly see that the device wanted me to take a turn at every intersecting road or even suggesting a U-turn.

I switched to city centre POIs only and selected the next one I should pass.
Within a few miles of getting to the city limits I would punch in the following city and get on the fastest way through or around the previously chosen one.

I don't know Tyre PRO so I cannot say if route optimisation is included. It was not in basic Tyre so it was of no use to a business person.

I think Andy_P had touched on this elsewhere a few days ago and I have posted for years that I had stopped using itineraries.
Instead, I have made multiple POIs to City Center (fastest way to select).

I used to have an itinerary to go from Toronto, ON to Albany, NY, driving typically twice a year.
I gave our friends an ETA and depending on stops would make some detours from the planned route.
Driving through the Adirondacks, having some time to spare and seeing an interesting road going off the appointed one, I would take it. Then I had to constantly see that the device wanted me to take a turn at every intersecting road or even suggesting a U-turn.

I switched to city centre POIs only and selected the next one I should pass.
Within a few miles of getting to the city limits I would punch in the following city and get on the fastest way through or around the previously chosen one.

I don't know Tyre PRO so I cannot say if route optimisation is included. It was not in basic Tyre so it was of no use to a business person.
Ahh I see. Not a bad idea. I have found that "City Centre" is much easier to find in my TomTom. It took me several months until I accidentally stumbled upon it in my in-car nav as some POI category that I would have never pressed if I wasn't curious and was pressing all the POI categories to see what's beneath it. At least with TomTom, it's under "Address"

They would actually do well t make a deal with TYRE and ship every new unit with a copy of TYRE Pro on it.
Of interest - that's exactly what they're doing with the latest release of the Rider product, which is still Nav2.

We've been told that new models will see the return of the Itinerary function, which is a good thing, but I suspect you're talking about bundling TYRE with the Rider models. I was aware of this, but since I don't own a Rider or a motorcycle...

I also recently got a news item from TYRE that they have figured out a way to communicate with and bring itinerary functionality to ALL TomTom models, not just the old ones. Something to do with chaining routes of 5 waypoints together. This feature is only available in TYRE Pro, which makes now a good time to upgrade.

Yes, that's what I said. There's a good precedent for bundling Tyre since they've done it with the new (Nav2) Rider model.

Now that begs the question of the specific relationship between Tyre and TomTom, and if Tyre is now finding a way to support Nav3 units with chained sets of via points, they didn't just 'discover' the mechanism behind this since the TomTom firmware would have to cooperate with a new method for managing waypoints. The existing algorithm attempts to do some optimization of the via points. A chained set could not, or you'd be off into 'traveling salesman problem' territory.

I have not yet seen that claim made by Tyre on their site, so if you have a link that you can add, that would make some very interesting reading!

I also recently got a news item from TYRE that they have figured out a way to communicate with and bring itinerary functionality to ALL TomTom models, not just the old ones. Something to do with chaining routes of 5 waypoints together. This feature is only available in TYRE Pro, which makes now a good time to upgrade.
News release in English, at the top of that page, also available in Dutch (;->) and German.

OK .. quoting from that source, emphasis mine:

"Support for Nav3 devices was limited until now. But now there is this huge enhancement for opening, editing and saving POI files on your Nav3 device.
Nav3 devices do not support itinerary files. That is a real pity, but there is a workaround however:
if you have Tyre Professional, you can select ‘Route tracks’ from the ‘TomTom’ menu to copy your route to your device in a different way."

So Tyre is doing what we have already been recommending to people stuck with Nav3 devices .. use POI to create the 'itinerary'. Still won't route you from one to the next, but at least you can create an *.ov2 with all of the itinerary points and get from A to B to C manually by selecting the next item on your list.

Unless there's something else going on that I haven't seen...

Ask a Question