Any good reason not to buy a 950 ?

GGW

I make 4 - 5 trips to Europe each year and my son lives in St Andrews, UK so I was thinking about getting a 950 when I'm over there next week. Primary reason is that from what I've seen I simply like the new UI better. Use would be 70% EU/UK and 30% US and maybe a bit of Canada and Mexico. Any good reason not to do this?

Thanks,

UK based SuperMod MikeAlder had a chance to test the 950 prior to its release and was underwhelmed by it, to tell you the truth.

If he doesn't respond in this thread in the next 24 hours, send him a pm.

I haven't seen many posts on a 950, but per here it looks like the big additions are:
- the new interface, which integratees the live services and makes them act less like a bolt-on
- ecoroutes
- more countries on its maps
- a new anti-glare screen, which allows viewing in direct sunlight

The biggest takeaway seems to be the music player. Tomtom doesn't mention this functionality anywhere on the specs, nor does it mention line out / fm transmitter. If I had a newer car or newer radio, I wouldn't care as much since it would have its own mp3 player. Unfortunately, my primary car has a $2000 nav system that I don't use (no IQroutes/live traffic), and I don't want to rip out the nav system since it will impact resale value, so I'm a heavy user of the FM music features.

Also, it appears that the UK version doesn't come with the integrated TMC receiver. Even if it did, the European TMC receiver woudln't work in the US. And supposedly, the LIVE services won't work in the US either.

Also, it appears the 950 doesn't have Mexico maps (you could always buy them).

So you have to consider the 950 as a Europe-focused device that might work in the US, and not expect to use it for music. If that meets most of your needs, I'd get it. The newest 9.0 application should be the focus of Tomtom's future development, so it should get a lot of support as far as features/bug fixes.

Personally, I'm waiting for HD traffic in the US before my next Tomtom upgrade. My assumption is the 950 will be released here concurrent with HD traffic, and I'd be the first to purchase it. Hopefully by then Tomtom release a music-capable version, or a 5" version, but I'd begrudgingly buy it without these features if that 's all that came out here.

The first TomTom stand alone navigation device I purchased was the 910 and this purchase was based mainly on the mp3 player which was/ is something I value as I swap between Hire cars on a regular basis, my 720, 930 and 940 all have mp3 and FM Tx capability sadly the 950 doesn't have this. As a nav unit the device works, but for me something I consider of value is missing with the 950.

To be honest a 940 running the 750 Fiat BlueMe Navcore 9 is a better bet all round as this gives you everything (and more) see Here - Mike

Mike.......I assume that is your utube clip.

I LOVE Toto! I KNEW there was a reason I liked you!! ;)

I often have ToTo (just two "M's are missing) playing in the Ovlov (try it backwards) I am sure you will agree though with this installed to the 940 it offers far greater capability if you drive a large vehicle or motor home, this Navcore version is available for dowload directly from the server at TomTom so it's nothing dubious but the Home software won't offer it unless you own a Fiat car with the TT option installed - Mike

A single left click on the red text in my post should open a new browser window on your PC displaying the YouTube web site and the 940 video, there is nothing wrong with the link as I have just tried it again - Mike

The first TomTom stand alone navigation device I purchased was the 910 and this purchase was based mainly on the mp3 player which was/ is something I value as I swap between Hire cars on a regular basis, my 720, 930 and 940 all have mp3 and FM Tx capability sadly the 950 doesn't have this. As a nav unit the device works, but for me something I consider of value is missing with the 950.

To be honest a 940 running the 750 Fiat BlueMe Navcore 9 is a better bet all round as this gives you everything (and more) see Here - Mike

can you place 750 Fiat BlueMe Navcore 9 on the 740?

I often have ToTo (just two "M's are missing) playing in the Ovlov (try it backwards) I am sure you will agree though with this installed to the 940 it offers far greater capability if you drive a large vehicle or motor home, this Navcore version is available for dowload directly from the server at TomTom so it's nothing dubious but the Home software won't offer it unless you own a Fiat car with the TT option installed - Mike

Hi Mike, can you supply the link to the Navcore 9 download you mention on the TomTom server.

I want to get the new o/s onto my 940.

Many thanks, George

Ask a Question