Real reason 720's aren't supposed to have VR?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I read from someone else's post where they posted an email tomtom sent to them, that basically said that TomTom only offered VR on certain European 720's because they came with a smaller map which allowed VR and Germany maps to fit perfectly on the device, whereas the latest NA maps are quite large and pretty much fill up the device almost completely.

I feel that the more people that contact TomTom for support with Voice Recognition with NA maps will push TomTom to disable VR completely much quicker.

I've read that many people think that TomTom doesn't add VR to NA 720's because TomTom wants to push the sales of the 920/930 models. But I don't know if that's true (although it WOULD make sense vs their answer that tomtoms wont fit VR and NA maps.)

I guess both are correct?

I do want to enable VR once I receive the 720 in the mail tomorow, but like other people say, the novelty might wear off. This feature seems to be a feature that you'd mostly show-off to your friends. VR would be GREAT if it worked for more than just address inputs.

Last edited:
I'm sure you know this already....but just in case:)

Keep in mind to get yourself a SD card....then just put the larger NA map with the VR files on the card.

You could even experiment....and leave the original NA on the internal memory....then copy the original NA to the SD card the add the VR files to the map on the SD.

Then you could use the manage maps function to switch between maps.

I'm sure you know this already....but just in case:)

Keep in mind to get yourself a SD card....then just put the larger NA map with the VR files on the card.

You could even experiment....and leave the original NA on the internal memory....then copy the original NA to the SD card the add the VR files to the map on the SD.

Then you could use the manage maps function to switch between maps.

Yep I bought my SanDisk Ultra II 4GB SDHC card on friday at walmart for 19.99.

What you said are my exact plans. Put the map and the speech files on the SD card. Once I do this though, my internal memory will have so much free space now. Am I able to put MP3's on the internal memory AND SD card? or should I just only place the mp3's on the SD card on the remaining space?

Just re-read the post. You want me to leave NA maps on both internal and external memory?

Yep I bought my SanDisk Ultra II 4GB SDHC card on friday at walmart for 19.99.

What you said are my exact plans. Put the map and the speech files on the SD card. Once I do this though, my internal memory will have so much free space now. Am I able to put MP3's on the internal memory AND SD card? or should I just only place the mp3's on the SD card on the remaining space?

I was thinking putting the NA with the VR files on the SD just till you get it working correctly and are happy then you could delete the NA from the internal and just use the SD or move the working NA from the SD to the internal.

As for the mp3,

You can put them on both or one or the other.

Just make a folder of the SD card and name it mp3....then put any or all the mp3's in it.

I would also suggest you make a folder on the SD and name it schemes....then you can put all the extra color schemes you download on the SD.

You can even make a folder named photos on the SD and keep pic's in it to view on the TT.

Even make a folder named art and move all but the two default arrow/car icons ( blue and gold arrows ) out of the internal memory's art folder and into the SD art folder.

Also....text....audiobooks....voices....LoquendoTTS :D

And if you use a Western Europe map...you can create a folder named zip....and put the Europe zipcode files on the SD.

Remember....with the GO X20's and X30's you don't need to install the Navcore operating system on the SD card;)

Last edited:

Ask a Question