Advice in replacing TOMTOM one 3rd edition

I've narrowed my choice between the xl340 and the xxl540.

Is the only difference between them the screen size (allowing for cost differences) ? Either size will be an upgrade for me from the 3.5 ONE.

I think I read in researching these threads that the live traffic function tends to slow down active route adjustments/recalculations/corrections made on the fly. Is this true? If so, will operating the unit on battery power enhance the speed?

I can support minor cost differences for the larger screen size or live traffic update . I don't think either is essential. I just don't want to overtax the processing speed with live traffic reports etc....I'm a casual user bringing the device along on US vacations to help navigate the unfamiliar territories. Spoken turn directions and traffic lane notifications will be a super upgrade to our deceased TOMTOM ONE.

thanks

I still have my one, but we got the 540TM for my wife. The lane guidance and the spoken street names are great.

I like the lifetime maps and the traffic was just a bonus.

I don't notice much difference when the traffic is trying to re-route, but then again when you're on us highways, it's not like you need it to switch at the flick of a switch. I have had the unit recalculate my route 100 miles away from the traffic backup, so it gives you plenty of time.

Hi Tom,

I've had a TT 3rd edition (and still have it) and now have an XL-335TM (TM = lifetime traffic and map). What a difference the 4.3" screen is over the 3.5" screen. The ALG (advance lane guidance), spoken street names, and other things were a nice upgrade. I don't have the 'Live Traffic', but the free FM traffic works pretty well for me.

Ask a Question