Adding maps to Go Live 1000/1005

I'm new here and to TomTom so sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

OK, I haven't bought my TomTom yet but I'm looking at four possible model

Top Gear Edition

My question is that both the 1000/1005 don't have SD slots so do they have enough built in memory to add and accept additional maps like North America without having to dump the maps that's currently stored?

Also the TopGear Edition, I read that the talks between the BBC and TomTom have collapsed so does this mean no voice from Mr Clarkson or is the units already in stores been allowed to go ahead?

There isn't sufficient memory internal memory on any of these units to hold both European and N.A. maps.

Note that the GO825 Europe does have a uSD slot. However, at this time, I know of no way to get a North American map onto a uSD card on any of these new units. I'd hold off just a bit to see if they can get their brains wrapped around the map purchase and upload concept. They were supposed to have that ready for this unit in the "Summer of 2011", which has since come and gone.

If you were in North America and needing both Europe and N.A., I'd suggest you boot the new line altogether and find yourself an XL540WTE somewhere.

Welcome to TTF.

As of a month or so ago, it has been possible to purchase travel maps for the 1X models. You are correct that there isn't room on the unit for both but I think the required MyTomTom interface for those models moves the original map to a cache on the computer to make room for the new map. At least I think that's how it's done. :confused:

I read about the issues with the Top Gear & BBC.

See here:
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras Forums-viewtopic-Stig Finally Silences Jeremy Clarkson

Sounded to me as though he wanted to hold the maps concurrently ("without having to dump the maps that's currently stored"), so the 1XXX ability to manage travel maps might not be what he was hoping to see. Some travel without a notebook/netbook making it difficult to keep swapping back and forth.

As noted, I haven't seen any announcement that TT even has a new schedule for getting the 825's slot working for adding maps. Have you heard any update on that?

Thanks or all your replies. If I understand you all correctly I connect to MyTomTom and upload my current maps on to my computer and then download the new Travel maps directly on to my TomTom. Is that correct?

Also whilst looking for a new GPS I saw the TomTom 950 which seems to store both Europe and USA on the unit at the same time, maybe I should be considering that model and forget about the very latest ones.

No, with the MyTomTom web based interface required for the 1X models, the user has no access to the file system on the units. So, the user can't copy the existing map to the computer the way it was done using Home 2 and non Navcore 10.x models or using Windows Explorer to do the same thing.

The user must rely upon the MyTomTom to do the job of map swapping properly.

Sorry guys but bare with me because I've never had to do all this upload/downloading of maps before because my past GPS which was a Garmin came preloaded with all my maps but is very tired and needing replacing.

I really want either the 1000 or 1005 because they are the latest offering and should in the long term prove the most future proof but I just don't understand the process of transferring the data to and from the device to my PC.

What i really need to know is it really simple to follow and fool proof (a necessity for me. lol).

Also whilst looking for a new GPS I saw the TomTom 950 which seems to store both Europe and USA on the unit at the same time, maybe I should be considering that model and forget about the very latest ones.
Certainly a decent choice, and is of the older architecture that allows access to the file system, making it a good bit more flexible and much harder to brick <g>. It also employs a uSD card slot if you want to make use of that. You can't even hold the full European and North American maps concurrently these days. The larger European map (not just western and central) runs about 2.34GB now, and a full North America map doesn't quite fit into the remaining space in internal memory! Using the uSD slot, you can expand to all of Europe and all of North America if need be.

This isn't a new model, but it is odd - I don't see the 950 on the GB page, but I do see it on the Ireland page. Wonder why. Per their page there, what you get on the 950 being sold on the Ireland page is the West/Central Europe map plus Canada and Alaska. AFAIK, this unit has always had full Canada and US maps.

Perhaps moderator Andy, who lives out your way and owns a 950, can provide some clarity to this.

I was going to PM Andy but I didn't realise I needed 20 posts to enable that function. Hopefully he will see this and give us his wisdom.

The GO1000/GO1005/Top Gear have insufficient builtin memory to fit Europe and North America at the same time.

The GO950 was supposed to have enough memory for both (and did fit them at the time of launch), but the latest maps added more streets and more detail, and are too big now to both fit.

The Top Gear has a microSD slot, but Tomtom hasn't added compatibility with that slot yet (they didn't even allow purchasing of maps on the new platform until about a month ago). Also, the Top Gear was discontinued due to licensing issues, but the 50,000 already shipped are permitted to remain in stores.

The GO950's microSD slot works fine. So you can get both maps to fit if you purchase an additional SD.

Swapping out maps can be done with HOME2 (for the 950) or MyTomtom (for the newer devices).

The MyTomtom system used to cause all sorts of problems a few months ago with maps (requiring many warranty swaps), but it appears Tomtom has fixed things, and the Home2 and MyTomtom failure rate is about the same now.

If a HOME2 map install fails, the devices offer direct filesystem access, so we could tell you steps to self-fix the device.

In the newer devices that use MyTomtom, the filesystem is locked out. If a MyTomtom map install fails, you'll need to call phone support and demand a level 2 technician. They can remotely cleanout and fix the device, but you can't do it yourself.

The Clarkson voice is still on the TopGear device that you buy off the shelf. The ban is on further manufacture of these devices, or selling of the voice as a separate voice. So if you want a TopGear device, that one is ideal.

If you want a device on which you can use two maps, any of those devices will do. You can only have one map at the same time.

As many people have mentioned in this thread, support for the latest devices through myTomTom has shown significant improvements recently. Looking into the future, I would invest in a newer device.

If you want a device on which you can use two maps, any of those devices will do. You can only have one map at the same time.

Not so... you can have both maps on the Go950 at the same time (in fact you could have several).

The new models still seem to be incapable of having more than one map installed (correct me if I'm wrong - maybe a small additional map could be installed alongside the existing map?).

But you certainly an't fit both Europe and the US on any of the new models.
So in order to take your TomTom on a transatlantic journey, you would need to take a laptop with you in order to swap the maps over. Not good...

I was going to PM Andy but I didn't realise I needed 20 posts to enable that function. Hopefully he will see this and give us his wisdom.

Hi Footie, I split your question (and my long reply!) about the Go950 compared to the Go100 out into it's own topic. Did you see my PM about it?

You can find it here:
Compare the Go950 and Go1000

... maybe a small additional map could be installed alongside the existing map?).
I've not done it on my 1535, but I recall seeing that done very recently .. um .. somewhere. I just don't know whether it's something that's been widely released as yet. I'm kind of in the dark about what's been seen in the UK and what hasn't. You often see MyTomTom features released there before we do here in N.A.

Hi Footie, I split your question (and my long reply!) about the Go950 compared to the Go100 out into it's own topic. Did you see my PM about it?

You can find it here:
Compare the Go950 and Go1000

Thanks Andy. Yeah I've just read it but you have answer another thing that has been confusing me when I seen both the 1000 and 950 had the same internal memory so how come the 950 could have both maps, simple the up to date maps which are needed when you buy the 950 won't all fit on the internal memory.

The only noticeable advantage I see is that with the 950 you can have one set of maps on the internal memory and the other maps on the card where as with the 1000 you can only have one set of maps at any one time.

God I hate this decision because I prefer the look and feel of the new one but hate the hassle of switching maps if and when I need them. It's the horror stories I'm hearing here regarding the loading of maps to and from the PC that has my worried of making the jump to Tomtom because apart from that do look to be the better GPS.

It's the horror stories I'm hearing here regarding the loading of maps to and from the PC that has my worried of making the jump to Tomtom because apart from that do look to be the better GPS.

To be honest, no one has reported exactly what happens when they try to buy a new map and what MyTomTom then does about moving the original one
(whether it works and whether it is sent to their PC or up into "the cloud" I don't know).

It's the uncertainty that's the problem, and why some of us are still very partial to older platform models for multi-map use. Wish the heck they sold units like the 940 and 950 over here, but no love for the Norte Americanos these days.

To be honest, no one has reported exactly what happens when they try to buy a new map and what MyTomTom then does about moving the original one
(whether it works and whether it is sent to their PC or up into "the cloud" I don't know).

I've done this- the old map goes to the cloud. i.e. The server knows that you are authorized to have the old map even though it is not currently on your device. in the Manage Content page of myTomTom, the new map as well as the old map are listed, and you can go to the page and re-install the old map whenever you want.

I've done this- the old map goes to the cloud.

Thanks for the info, kj6fk. You seem to know quite a lot about the process...

So if you want to reinstall the original map, you have to re-download it?
How long will that take? As long as a normal map download?

I can't see this method being very useful when you need to swap maps in the car at a border crossing though!

in the Manage Content page of MyTomTom, the new map as well as the old map are listed,

Was the original map listed in "Manage Content" BEFORE you downloaded the new one? Because mine certainly isn't.

Ask a Question