910 Audio out issues

Hi All

I have not been on here in a while but its nice to see that its still an active forum for these dinosaurs. My 910 is acting up somewhat. When I mount it in the car, it does not recognize that its connected for audio out. Power works fine and as far as I can tell so does the mic. I took the mount apart and forced the 910 right onto the pins and this makes it work. Does this mean that the pins are worn down somehow? I thought the contacts on the mount may have worn down from the bumps and bouncing around. Nevertheless, any ideas on how to fix or diagnose further.

Also, does the traffic receiver work without a subscription?

Also, does the traffic receiver work without a subscription?

The traffic receiver is supposed to work for only one year in the USA, however the one I bought from digitalonesurplus on ebay seems to work forever. I think it may be from back a few years ago when traffic was free (don't know).

Even if it stops working, the receiver only costs $15.

Regarding disassembly/repair of the mount: I've never tried, hopefully someone else with experience on this can chime in.

Thank you. I took it apart yesterday and as far as I can tell the port where the line out plugs in is damaged somehow. It took a lot of wiggling and pushing to get the audio out to work. Anybody know where I can get a replacement car mount without paying $50?

Hi Guys

Just wanted to give a little update. I determined that in fact the line out on the car mount was broken. There really was no way to fix it. I checked ebay and found that I was looking at $40 for a new mount. I am too cheap to spend that.

Instead I did the following:

Take the plug end of a headphone jack and cut it at about 6 inches of wire.
Strip and expose the wire.
Open TomTom
I am missing the little rubber piece that prevents vibration so I ran the wire through there leaving the headphone jack on the outside of the TomTom casing.
Cut wires going to internal speaker
Twist together two positive wires from headphone jack to one positive speaker wire (red)
Twist negative wire from headphone jack to negative speaker wire (black)
(These should really have been soldered but too much work for me)
Electrical tape all connections
Seal everything back up and BAM!

The internal speaker still works and when I connect the line out I just created (headphone jack) to the line in on the car stereo the sound comes from both.

I know I am converting mono to stereo so its not real stereo sound but who cares. It works and it costs like a $1.

BTW, this also means that my cell phone conversations will play through the car speakers - pretty cool extra gain.

Negatives:
Mono sound just pushed through two channels
Little pigtail coming out the back of the unit which I have to disconnect every time I un-dock.

I will try to post up picks of the plug coming out of the back. I don't intend on opening it to show you internal pics but once you have it open its pretty straight forward.

Please note if you try this do so at your own risk.

Let me know what you all think.

Ask a Question