TT Go 910 And Audiobook Support Questions...

TomTom Model(s)
Hi folks, a couple of questions regarding the TomTom GO 910 and audio books; I'm a big fan of using my 2 1/2 hours a day in the car to listen to audio books (better than the inane garbage on the radio) and I'm looking to buy a TT GO 910, so I was wondering about it's audio book capabilities:-

1. Does the TT GO 910 support bookmarking of audio books. even something as simple as stop audio book playing and then restart where it left off? Better still would be bookmark an audio book - play a different audio book - come back to the first one and start from where it was bookmarked....

2. I note that it uses Audible as its source - does anyone know what file format Audible uses for it's TT Go 910 files?

Any info would be much appreciated

2. I note that it uses Audible as its source - does anyone know what file format Audible uses for it's TT Go 910 files?
Audible use a proprietary format. IIRC, the extension is .aa, and only the audible player or a 910 can be used to play them back.

I don't know about your first question. Sorry!

My 910 is on its way (very excited), and I was wondering whether it's possible to get it to play non-Audible audiobooks. My local library offers free downloadable audiobooks in WMA format. Could these be transferred over somehow, or converted and then transferred? What format(s) does the TomTom accept?

Yikes, just read on another thread that even Audible audiobooks won't work if you use a Mac (as I do). That was one of the main reasons I chose the TomTom 910. Is that still true? Any way around it?

I did some digging and found a TomTom press release from last year that says otherwise:

TomTom Audiobooks
For the latest in in-car entertainment TomTom has teamed up with Audible Inc., the largest supplier of digital spoken books to offer a vast catalogue of titles for its new service TomTom Audiobooks. TomTom Audiobooks features a new type of entertainment which allows users to simply download their favourite book, magazine or podcast through their PC or MAC onto their device.

Now I'm confused.

Last edited:
My 910 is on its way (very excited), and I was wondering whether it's possible to get it to play non-Audible audiobooks. My local library offers free downloadable audiobooks in WMA format. Could these be transferred over somehow, or converted and then transferred? What format(s) does the TomTom accept?

Yikes, just read on another thread that even Audible audiobooks won't work if you use a Mac (as I do). That was one of the main reasons I chose the TomTom 910. Is that still true? Any way around it?

I did some digging and found a TomTom press release from last year that says otherwise:

Now I'm confused.

I don't know if wma files will play but MP3's do. If you can find a converter program you can load your books in MP3 format and play them.

I thought I'd post my workaround solution, in case there are other Mac users who want to play Audible audiobooks. I talked to a TomTom support guy and he told me that I could do this by hooking my TomTom up to a PC just once (even that wasn't easy for me.)

You go to the PC, download the Audible Manager program for PCs from the Audible Web site. You hook up the TomTom 910 and then choose Activate Device from the device menu. And that's it. You can de-install the Audible Manager and never need a PC again.

Then you can listen to your audiobooks by downloading them from the Audible site and dragging the audiobook file directly into the TomTom's "audiobooks" folder. When you first select that audibook to play it, you may get a message saying that there was an error during playback, but it will play perfectly.

After I performed the above activation process, I noticed a new file in the TomTom's "audiobooks" folder called activation.sys . I strongly suspect this is the only change. If Audible were on the ball, they'd support Audible members who use TomToms with Macs by just emailing them that file.

Last edited:

Ask a Question