540TM & 740TM Which One To Keep?

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd Edition
After my kid lost my 130s I purchased the 550TM and unbeknownst to me my spouse ordered the 740TM as think she missed the GPS even more than me. She travels to Washington, Boston, San Francisco and New York City several times a year.

So, do the "Live" features of the 740 outweigh the big XXL screen of the 540 for any of you that might have experience with both models?

Has TomTom fixed Bluetooth issues of the 740? I really would like the handsfree phone features for my iPhone.

I guess I could justify the Live subscription model if in general the 740 has gotten firmware fixes and was somewhat stable.

One of the two are going back Tuesday. Got to love Amazon;) Words of wisdom would be much appreciated. And no I'll never lend my GPS to my kid again without a deposit ;)

Should Have searched Forums on 740 live

Well after searching the forums I see that Live service users have had all sorts of problems with subscription service renewal and deactivation of their SIM cards. I was leaning towards the 740 with those services. If I go with it I may just go with the yearly subscription and only have to hazard disruption of the service once a year at renewal time. Geez I've got so many gizmo subscriptions going may spouse is going to kill me!

I just picked up a 540TM from Amazon (about $220 delivered next day). I'm still checking out the features, but so far the large screen is great.

I love my xxl 540, I've had mine since Jan. and I use it around once a week to go on trips and have enjoyed it. It has all the features that I want and the 5" screen was the #1 reason I got it.

I love my xxl 540, I've had mine since Jan. and I use it around once a week to go on trips and have enjoyed it. It has all the features that I want and the 5" screen was the #1 reason I got it.

Wandered into Target store yesterday and saw my first XXl 540 with Traffic and Maps included, and realized two things. 5" screen is "huge" in relation to 4.3" screen. BUT, I didn't note that picture was that much sharper or detailed AND, since the only way I can put my TT in a reasonable location in my 2006 Highlander is to use a ProClip setup (which puts the TT in a very visible position really close to my steering wheel) if I had the 540 it would take up a lot of real estate and a bunch of the screen would be blocked by my steering wheel.

Plus, the 540 still doesn't come with BT Handsfree. The 740 does. For me the 740 BT HFworks great with my Samsung phone, just like the TT GB site indicated it would.

Ask a Question