5 calls to support today, and many hours. Any respite?

Hi everyone,

I got my brand new 720 just 2 days ago. I tried many times to update the map through Home, and kept getting a bad archive error. I made 5 calls and spent several hours trying to fix my 720, and I blew almost all of my minutes on my phone for the month. Now they are having me send it to them to be fixed or replaced. I now won't have my 720 for 7-10 days from when they received this unit, I'm told. Although I was very pleasant on the phone, I am livid at this point. This really isn't fair that I have to send a brand new unit to them and be without it for close to 2 weeks. I wasted time and cell phone minutes (about 2 hours! We don't have a land line.), and now I have to pay shipping to send it to them. It just really sucks. :mad:

Is there anything I can do? Can I ask for some sort of credit from them? I sent back my brand new Garmin to get this TomTom. I am starting to feel like I made a huge mistake.

Thanks,
Chris

I just found out that being on the phone with support caused me to go over my cell minutes, and now I'm going to get socked with a huge fee. :(

I will say that the support staff was very nice and they did seem to know what they were doing. They did what they could. My unit is just defective. It's still not fair though.

Wouldn't it be better to return it to the store where you bought it for an exchange? It's only a couple of days old, after all.

I have 5 days to return it I believe, but I am worried I'll end up with the same issue of not being able to update the map. At least this way I'll get the new map and firmware and not have to go through this again.

It's going to take just as long to exchange it anyway, because I bought it through a company selling through Amazon. I may as well get the right stuff in the 720 this time.

I suppose that is possible but you really should be able to update the maps on line. And if support is saying send it back there is conceivably a hardware issue.
I understand how difficult it is to get through to support and then to get a precise answer without a lot of turning in circles. I have been waiting for an answer on a map question myself from support for several days after I gave up on the phone. Perhaps if you ever have to contact support again, borrow someones phone with unlimited minutes or a land line. And those overages on cell minutes ......ouch.

Ask a Question