4gb card in Rider 2?

has anyone had success using a 4GB SD card in a Rider 2?

I tried this but my Rider would only boot to the TomTom Black screen of death.

the old 2gb card still works normally.

any thoughts?

The latest application for the tomtom rider is 7.901.

You need to have application 8.3xx or higher to read SD cards > 2GB. 8.3 is currently only available for GO x20/x30/x40 models.

I have used a 4GB Micromemory card in my Rider1 for years. It must be a SD card. AFAIK it does not support SDHC.

4GB card follow up -

well I did some further sleuthing and found out this much -

I took a new San Disk 2GB SD card and installed it my Rider 2 with no problems - did all the updates including the installation of the North America Map.
so with that card in the Rider 2 everything works as it should.

I took that 2GB card and using a card reader copied it's contents to a separate folder on my computer.

then I took a new Transcend 4GB SD card and copied all of the above contents to it - so that it was a clone of the 2GB card.

then I put the 4GB card in the Rider and it's a no go.

the Rider starts it's boot procedures - meaning: 1) TomTom black screen, 2) yellow screen with progress bar loading system, 3) TomTom black screen. here it freezes on th TomTom black screen and will go no further. not only that it won't turn offf - totally frozen. I have to use the reset switch to get it to shut down.

so there is something funny about 1) a 4GB card in a Rider 2, or 2) something about this particular card the Rider 2 doesn't like.

FYI - yes all cards are plain SD cards not SDHC cards.

any more thoughts?

The SD standard maxes out at 2GB. There are SD cards larger than 2GB, but no official standards so card and device compatibility is hit-or-miss. You could try ttle's brand and see if you have luck.

The SDHC standard supports cards larger than 2GB, but tomtom only supports SDHC with app 8.3 or later.

The SD standard maxes out at 2GB. There are SD cards larger than 2GB, but no official standards so card and device compatibility is hit-or-miss. You could try ttle's brand and see if you have luck.

The SDHC standard supports cards larger than 2GB, but tomtom only supports SDHC with app 8.3 or later.

Not entirely correct. The x20 series handled upto 4 gig sdhc for read/writes with Navcore 7x and would read from beyond that limit. Many users utilized 16 gig sdhc cards with f/w 7x.

then I put the 4GB card in the Rider and it's a no go.

the Rider starts it's boot procedures - meaning: 1) TomTom black screen, 2) yellow screen with progress bar loading system, 3) TomTom black screen. here it freezes on th TomTom black screen and will go no further. not only that it won't turn offf - totally frozen. I have to use the reset switch to get it to shut down.

so there is something funny about 1) a 4GB card in a Rider 2, or 2) something about this particular card the Rider 2 doesn't like.

FYI - yes all cards are plain SD cards not SDHC cards.

any more thoughts?

Same here, though the freeze is actually on the splash screen with the picture of a bike.

Niamh

I was under the impression that it was all to do with anti piracy that we are unable to copy and use the maps onto another sd card?
Thought the unit recognises that particular card/software and unit configuration for it to work.
I have tried making a backup even on a 2 Gb card in case the original gets corrupted and failed to get it to work?
Pete

Odd, I have an extra copy of my 8.15 map on a 2 gig card. I made it from Explorer and it works just fine. Just in case I loose one, I then have another.

Cheers

I was under the impression that it was all to do with anti piracy that we are unable to copy and use the maps onto another sd card?
Thought the unit recognises that particular card/software and unit configuration for it to work.
I have tried making a backup even on a 2 Gb card in case the original gets corrupted and failed to get it to work?
Pete

Two thoughts here:
1. Was by any chance the sd card locked?
2. TomTom seems not to play nice with lower quality sd cards (or sdhc cards, for that matter).

I have done the same as rcacs. Carry a back-up copy of my 2Gb card just in case I get a repeat of the "corupt file" that I had recently. Got it sorted, but "just in case"

Pacific Coaster

Thought I would have another try.
Hunted around my desk & found a 2Gb Veho SD card, placed it in my reader & up jumps TT Home wanting to do a load of updates - so obviously this was the card that I had tryed to make a copy on.
I let TT Home carry out the updates and then had a message come upto tell me to remove card from reader, placein Sat Nav, switch on unit, switch off unit & replace card in pc reader for final update/s.
Did this & TTR2 comes up with no maps found message! :(
Pete

Just looked at a possible solution to a question Did your map come per-installed on an SD card answer:

When the memory card is first inserted into a device, the map is activated for that device and cannot be used in another device. Preinstalled maps cannot be copied to another memory card or used in multiple devices.

My very first map that came with my Rider2 (v667) was preloaded on an SD card. I copied that one as well and it worked just fine. I would suspect though that it will not work in someobody elses Rider2 because of the activation. I have since used a 675, 715 and now the 815, all bought/loaded thru HOME. Each one I made a copy, and each one worked.

Cheers

ps: have you upgraded to the newest HOME version?.....I waited a bit to see what the reports were, and I am happy to say that it didnt screw up anything....

Yes, I have downloaded & installed the latest version of TT Home - I was hoping that it would solve the problem I have not being able to use the 'Operate my Rider' but alas no.

I dont seem to have much luck with creating a sd backup or with connecting the TTR2 to the pc - I must be jinxed :(

I get the same error message for both problems - I must have a 'No maps found' affliction :D

Last edited:
Just looked at a possible solution to a question Did your map come per-installed on an SD card answer:

When the memory card is first inserted into a device, the map is activated for that device and cannot be used in another device. Preinstalled maps cannot be copied to another memory card or used in multiple devices.

That was the issue with mine when I added a 4GB card to my Rider 2. I had to purchase the map to get it to work. Copying the map from the 2GB card that came with the device didn't work.

That was the issue with mine when I added a 4GB card to my Rider 2. I had to purchase the map to get it to work. Copying the map from the 2GB card that came with the device didn't work.

Were you able to make a backup on a 2Gb sd card?

"Were you able to make a backup on a 2Gb sd card? "

Do you mean a backup of the 4GB card? Not enough space on the 2GB card to back up all I have on the 4GB card. I did backup the 2GB card and tried using the backup on the 4GB card but it didn't work for me. It kept saying, "No map found" whenever I tried to use the map from the 2GB card on the 4GB card. I could be mistaken but it appears to me that each map is locked to a particular card and can't be moved to another card. IF that's true it would be a bummer if a card went bad...

"Were you able to make a backup on a 2Gb sd card? "

Do you mean a backup of the 4GB card? Not enough space on the 2GB card to back up all I have on the 4GB card. I did backup the 2GB card and tried using the backup on the 4GB card but it didn't work for me. It kept saying, "No map found" whenever I tried to use the map from the 2GB card on the 4GB card. I could be mistaken but it appears to me that each map is locked to a particular card and can't be moved to another card. IF that's true it would be a bummer if a card went bad...

I meant were you able to make a copy of your original 2gb sd card onto another 2gb card?
I understand that you were unsuccessful copying the contents of the 2 gb card onto the 4gb card.

The reason I was trying to make a copy was to protect myself if the card got corrupt.

In home you can make a backup but this would be of no use if you could not load this onto a replacement card if necessary. Crazy :confused:

Ask a Question