TomTom GO 300 won't recognise 4Gb SD/SDHC Cards

I have a TomTom GO 300 which has Bootloader version: 5.5128 & NavCore Version: 8.414.
However, it won't recognise 4Gb memory cards - neither SD nor SDHC cards.

I have three memory cards:

SanDisk 2Gb Extreme III SD Card
SanDisk 4Gb SDHC (Class 2)
Kingston Elite Pro 4Gb SD (x50 speed)

I can use all maps I've tried with the 2Gb card:

Europe_2Gb_840_2568
Western Central_Europe__2GB_840_2563
United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland_840_2562

They all work perfectly but when I try with the 4Gb cards they both show a corrupted version of the animation with the blue SD card inserted with the red cross through it. It only shows the first fraction of a second of the animation looped.

If I power on the device holding the power button down it shows SD card capacity:

SanDisk 4Gb SDHC: 3872256 kByte
Kingston Elite Pro 4Gb SD: 4026368 kByte

I've tried formatting the cards with Panasonic SD Formatter v.2.0 but it made no difference.

Many thanks for your help - its greatly appreciated!

Actually, according to the version history support it does:

5.5012 - support for SD cards >2GB on TT ONE
5.5022 - bug fixed for writing over the 4GB barrier
5.5105 - support for micro SDHC - only good for GOX40 models!!
5.5112 - full support for SDHC on all Tomtom models,also needed to use Navcore 8.49 and 8.410
5.5128 - needed for full support of Navcore 8.413(affects only ONE XL LIVE models-other will works with lower Navcore)

I tried the SanDisk Extreme III 16Gb SDHC from my Canon EOS 450D dSLR camera in my TomTom GO 300 and I couldn't believe that it actually worked and it sees the full 16Gb as well. So I'm going to just buy a new 4Gb SDHC for the GO 300.

All sorted!

People have attempted to swap bootloaders in order to get features that aren't designed for a device. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Beware that you cannot downgrade bootloaders, so if something breaks you end up with a bricked device.

Ask a Question