So I finally have the 4GB memory card Now what??

TomTom Model(s)
Go Live1535
Bought the 4Gb memory card to fit the 630 TT.., but am stymied and worried about what this is to do for my TOM TOM.
First I can't get my PC to see it, probably needs to be formatted but can't find, can't format.
If I put the card in my TOM TOM I don't want to format the device itself..
I am backed up in A few places on my PC but what is the card for again?-- In case my TT crashes on the road I could reload the maps in my car??
The 630 won't play back music mp3 so the card must be used for maps backup.. but what is the total scenario again??

Let's start from the beginning.

When your TomTom is plugged in, and you look at all of your 'disk drives' with My Computer, don't you see a new one with a kind of generic name like "EXTERNAL (E:)" or similar with Type as "Removable Disk"? If you check the properties, the size should be about 4,066,902,016 bytes capacity (3.78 GB).

If you fire up Home, does it present you with an "Internal" and "External" option before you start searching for updates?

If it doesn't show up anywhere, it may need formatting (and it shouldn't). You can probably format it in a digital camera or whatever else you may have laying about that will format an SD card, including the card reader on a netbook, notebook, or desktop. Any folders the formatting device creates can be deleted before you use the card in your TomTom.

Let us know when you're back in business.

The primary reason for having the SD card is to deal with lots of "extras". For example, until they got a bit out of hand with the W.Europe map, I could keep both my North American and European maps there. There's no way you could fit both on a 2GB TomTom. I can tell you that most of us who do have one keep our map folder(s) out there to free up space on the internal 'drive' for voices and other things. Since POI files reside in the map folder along with the map data, that means monster POI files are also easy to handle. Some people pick up the SD card to toss their MP3 collection there. Even though the 630 doesn't have a native MP3 player, there are 3rd party applications that would solve that.

Why did you think you were buying the SD card? Give us a hand and we can help you get things configured.

OK I've got a new 4GB Memory Card.. 'formatted' and installed and loaded up.. But looks like I have encountered a minor problem that was never addressed here on the forums..:

I use two computers for TT backups and new updates .. Both PC's work great one is A LAPTOP ( windows 7)., the other is my XP PC stand alone computer. I see that when I have (with the XP PC loaded up the memory card it will not be recognized by the windows 7 laptop and give errors when trying g to read/write to the memory card.. If I reverse the operation the XP PC seemed to write over the and change the windows 7 memory card with its own information., hence back to the windows 7 again it will not read the memory crad as its own.., hence back to the errors again.. So bottom line ( windows XP wins out again over windows 7)., I keep the backup on the memory card from Windows XP.. and as I addressed the opening of todays post..have never seen this problem address here before...

Geez.....neither have I.

The file structure of files has not changed from XP to W7 in the way that all these linux files (platform TT is developed on) are dealt with the same way between the 2 pc platforms as far as I'm aware.

When I plug in the tt630 via the usb with the memory card ejected ..it read the internal memory (1.73 gb) and it updates no problem,, if I push the memory card it then gives me these errors whentrying to update to the 'internal card only...:

ERROR: DesktopLib/DeviceItemScan/Error: Error during scanning for navigation items HomeBase/IO: Error reading file: G:\voices\data08.chk
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(2013)
@ .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp(74)

in .\framework\DeviceItemScannerThread.cpp:74
Stack:
0. function errorAbortTask chrome://tthome/content/logic/ttTask.js:508
error(e);
1. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 18:29:46 GMT

If G: represents the external device of the tomtom and if a separate map resides on the card than in internal, the error may suggest either a corrupt map on the card or a flaw on the card itself.

Try this:
Start-->run-->cmd and in the box that opens, type this:
chkdsk G: /f and see if any errors on G: are reported

If I attach to be read the TT device to the laptop ( win7) it reads both drives no problems .. If I try and do an update with card inserted,, I get the error messages .. if I pop out the card and hook to update to the windows 7 it updates OK..

If I do all of this on the Windows Xp no problem updates to both card and internal..

i just feel that the Windows 7 will not recognize XP information on inserted card that was backed up on XP .. But if I format the card and do the following on the Windows 7 laptop it will backup and be read back on the XP.. .. confusing ? yes ..

Like a lot of folks, you may find it necessary to run the Home installer and Home itself in XP compatibility mode on your Win7 box. Who knows - it may even change how your system treats external storage devices.

I have 'another' Laptop (nearby) running Xp Home and for fun I uploaded and saved my data to this laptop.. and sure enough today using my other XP windows I got a lot of errors as well,, So Bottom line I guess You can only use one PC to back up your data and if the device doesn't recognize the PC you backed up to you'll get a lot of of these error messages I posted above ...........

What did you use to create those backups on the 2nd PC, and did you advise Home (via the path config of Home) of the paths that were used, if the job was done manually instead of through Home?

After updating the internal memory with new updates .. I then clicked in the card and then found the card thru my explorer menu.. It showed the card
(I: Drive)was now formatted and ready to use .. I then Opened up the 'view' area and showed the extensions as well as hidden folders on my H: drive .. all of this was done on my windows 7 laptop.. I then highlighted and dragged all the H information over to my I drive and after 35 odd minutes or less the memory card was done ... The next day when I went in for my daily updates to the TT630 the laptop immediately recognized two memory inputs the Internal and the external ( H drive -internal/ I drive external) .. I then picked the h drive and did my updates ..

I then carried the TT630 across the room and hooked it up to my other PC ( the XP Pro standalone PC ) .. and attempted to do the same updates .. I also saw two inputs and I did the updates but when went to do the backup it then took 35 odd minutes ( which meant it overrode the already saved backup from the windows 7 and backed it up with the XP program and it saved ..

The next day I went to do my backup on the windows 7 and it automatically gave me the error messages I pointed out .. I then popped out the card and did the backup normally... I went to the Xpo and it backed up ok with no errors .. I then erased the memory card and redid the same steps with my other PC laptop XP home edition and after the backup ( 35 minutes or less) it then failed to back up again on the win7 and the windows xp pro ... ..

So bottom line it looks like to me that the same scenario of You can't transfer over the TT630 to another TT630 is the same idea for the memory card ... right??

Last edited:

Ask a Question