TOMTOM ONE XL - taking backup of SD Card (1GB) to another new SD Card (4GB)

Hi

I have TOMTOM ONE XL and i am using it from last one year. It has 1GB SD Card with 'Western Europe 1GB' map loaded onto it which came along with it when i purchased it.

Now i want to download more maps but due to the size limit (as the SD card is almost full), i decided to buy a new SD card (4GB), so that i can take the backup of of existing 1GB SD card to this new 4GB SD card and then i can download more maps onto it.

Here the problem starts, first i took the backup of my existing SD Card through TOMTOM HOME software then i restored this backup onto my new SD card and inserted my new SD card in my TOMTOM but it shows me a message 'Cannot use this map - Western Europe 1GB'. After that i formatted my new SD card and copied all the contects of my existing SD card to my new SD card using windows explorer. But again it shows the same message.

After that i inserted my old SD card in my TOMTOM ONE XL then it works fine. I am confused, it there something special in the SD card which came alongwith my TOMTOM ONE XL? Can i not use any other SD card with my TOMTOM?

There is one more point to be noticed - when i use my old SD card and connect my TOMTOM to my laptop using TOMTOM HOME software. There is an option for - 'operate my tomtom' when i click that option then again it doesn't operate my TOMTOM in my laptop and shows the same message - 'Cannot use this map - Western Europe 1GB' although i am using my old card in the TOMTOM and it works fine on it.

is anyone facing the same problem? Please can anyone help me out?

waiting for you advise and suggestions...

Many Thanks
Gaumzi

I do not believe that model can deal with anything greater than a 2 gig sd (not sdhc) card.

Another thought......

In Europe, TomTom maps were (maybe still are) sold on sd cards and the map was locked to the card, not the unit. So, by copying the map to a different card, the application is not 'seeing' the locking code on the new card.

I'm not sure about this, though....................

Ask a Question