4GB SD card and TT 510

Before I go out and buy a 4 GB SD card, does anyone know if the TT 510 will recognize it? I'm currently using a 2 GB SD card with the North American 2GB maps, v840, and the latest OS, 7.9 I believe. Thanks in advance for any advice!

The 510 will only support a 4GB memory card if it is a true SD card, when you get the 4GB capacity most cards are these days the SDHC type which the device will not work with.
Two cards of 4GB cpacity that are known to work are made by TopRam or Trancend, but you might struggle finding these for sale - Mike

I found a 4GB Transcend SD card. Is there any trick to get the 510 to recognize it? I simply did a direct file copy from my 2GB card that was working in my 510 to the 4GB card. The 510 won't recognize it. Luckily, I found the card for $10, so if it doesn't end up working out, I won't be out that much $. Any help is appreciated.

2GB is the maximum officially supported SD card for the 510.

4GB SD technically can't exist. The SD standard maxes out at 2GB. Larger cards must follow the SDHC standard. The 510 doesn't not support the SDHC standard at all, so it can't read any of them.

Mike is referring to a group of cards that were made contrary to the SD standard at a 4GB size. This was sold prior to the SDHC standard being formalized, but device compatibility is hit-or-miss.

The transcend and topram SD (not-SDHC) cards were known to work with the 510, despite being unsupported by Tomtom. But they've been discontinued since they're non-standard, so they're hard to find.

All you need to do is copy your old files to the new card and stick it in. Enable viewing of hidden files first before you copy.

Ask a Question