30 day LMG

I have a friend who has an XL 330 S. She?s had it and used it for almost a year but she?s never connected it to the computer. When does the 30 day LMG period start? From what I?ve read here most people say it?s from date of purchase but I think I?ve read a post that said it?s from when it?s first used. Is there any chance that it?s from when you first connect to Home? How does TomTom know when a unit was purchased? How do they know when it was first used?

I?m probably getting ahead of myself here but IF the LMG IS offered when first connected and an application update is also offered, does it make any difference which is installed first?

Thanks

From the TomTom site:

TomTom provides you with the latest map pre-installed on your new device. On top of that, if a newer map is released within 30 days from when you start using your device, you can download it for free. Note that in order to qualify for the latest map guarantee you need to check if a new map is available within the 30 day period, and are only entitled to one free map download.

Automatic check
The first time you connect your new navigation device to HOME, HOME checks if a newer version of your map is available.

Manual check
Within 30 days after you start using your device you can also manually check for a newer version of your map. To do so connect your device to your computer, launch TomTom HOME and log into your TomTom account. Then click the Tools drop-down menu and select Use Latest Map Guarantee

Thanks dhn,
That sure seems to imply that the period starts from the first time you turn the unit on. But how does it know? Does the unit record the date it was first turned on? Does the unit even KNOW the date? There is a place to set the time but no place to set the date. Is there some sort of ?lifetime? timer that starts running when first turned on?
Oh wait. Yes the unit DOES seem to know the date. When I plan a route (on my XL340S) it asks if I want to specify a specific date and time so that it can use IQ Routing. Funny I don?t seem to remember ever setting that. Does it get it from the satellites or am I just being forgetful?
I guess it comes down to the definition of ?start using your device?, turning it on vs. connecting to Home. Once you link the device to an account, sure, they can grab your serial number and note the date but other than that I wonder if they have any way to know.

Does anyone have any real world experience with connecting a TT to Home for the first time AFTER 30 days from first use?

If it doesn?t offer it then I?ll have her call support, plead ignorance (she IS blonde) and throw herself at the mercy of the court. Maybe she?ll get lucky and get a sympathetic rep.

In any case, assuming you have both a map and app upgrade available, does it make any difference which you install first?

Thanks

It's worth updating the application first as that's free and then try using LMG as it might work, I updated a 720 a couple of months ago for a chap at work, the device was 18 months old and LMG worked fine, but it's a bit of a lottery as to whether you will have a similar result, no harm in trying though - Mike

First turning on the unit is NOT the same as first USING the unit.

For example, a person sees a new unit in the store. Turns it on. Plays with it in the store. Turns it off. Unit isn't sold for another 4 weeks. That first instance of its being turned on is not recorded (or counted).

Consider USE to be the first time you connect to Home or actually use the unit in the car to navigate to a destination.

If USE is the first time you connect to Home, then she?s NEVER USED it.
If USE is the first time you use the unit in the car to navigate to a destination, then she?s been using it for ten months.

I guess I?ll just have to try and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies

For mine, I had to send a copy of the invoice in because it wouldn't work in Home... kept saying it was expired or already used or something. If it works straight through Home, then bonus, but if you have to deal with tech support you might run into problems. I don't think I'd buy your story of "Oh yeah we bought it over a year ago and haven't used it till just now" hmm somehow I doubt that.

TomTom's may register "first use" in the same way that Garmin does. Their more recent models look for first sat lock combined with a travel speed of at least 15mph. That date/time is then internally recorded as the official first use.

Wow, that's soffisticated..

I have always had to call (3 units) and then fax/email invoice for LMG. Never has worked from HOME.

Ask a Question