XXL550TM Speed Cameras Unavailable (Greyed Out)

Yes. I see "PlusSafetyCamerasStatic".
I'd contact TomTom to see if they can't push a new one to you.
These days, they embed the fixed radar (and red light cams) in the map data, but not on the older units.

Yes. I see "PlusSafetyCamerasStatic".
I'd contact TomTom to see if they can't push a new one to you.
These days, they embed the fixed radar (and red light cams) in the map data, but not on the older units.
I just received an email from support saying, "the speed camera subscription is deactivated on your account." They sent me a link to purchase a subscription.

I don't understand how I could have updated the safety cameras on the old XXL550TM a few times over the years since it was originally purchased and then when I connect an identical gps I hardly used they tell me "the speed camera subscription was deactivated on my account." As far as I knew the safety camera feature was included.

The XXL 550 is sold with maps and traffic to download for free, radars require a fee.
A few years ago Tomtom decided to have radars you had to have an active subscription no subscription the radars were deactivated when the map was updated.

If you can provide proof that the speed cameras were for life send this proof to Tomtom support.

The XXL 550 is sold with maps and traffic to download for free, radars require a fee.
A few years ago Tomtom decided to have radars you had to have an active subscription no subscription the radars were deactivated when the map was updated.

If you can provide proof that the speed cameras were for life send this proof to Tomtom support.
ttgo.bif

"Features=PlusOrRDSTMCTraffic,PlusEphemeris,PlusSafetyCamerasStatic"

Would this qualify?

ttgo.bif

"Features=PlusOrRDSTMCTraffic,PlusEphemeris,PlusSafetyCamerasStatic"

Would this qualify?
It's a crap shoot. I'm not sure that anyone outside of tech support would understand what a ttgo.bif file is. From what we can see, the feature should be enabled.
OTOH, you're stuck for new maps now due to your memory limitation. Might be time to take the time you're spending on this and use it researching a newer unit.

If my memories are still good ttgo.bif. Is it a file that is automatically created each time the TT is started?
so if we delete this file it will recreate itself automatically.

If my memories are still good ttgo.bif. Is it a file that is automatically created each time the TT is started?
so if we delete this file it will recreate itself automatically.
That's correct, it will automatically be created. Part of the process of the creation of the ttgo.bif file is to establish the feature set of the device.

It's a crap shoot. I'm not sure that anyone outside of tech support would understand what a ttgo.bif file is. From what we can see, the feature should be enabled.
OTOH, you're stuck for new maps now due to your memory limitation. Might be time to take the time you're spending on this and use it researching a newer unit.
So the ttgo.bif file is created by the firmware?

At this point toying with the XXL550TM, VIA1535TM and XL340.S has become sort of a hobby. They're obsolete. They're like the slide rules of navigation devices. The abacus of calculators. The Digi-comp of computers.

I've always wondered how they work. Including the software. What's in the files etc. Not for any sort of hack. Just curiosity. Tomtom home isn't especially consistent or intuitive. Working with it includes the law of unintended consequences. It's a miracle any of it "worked" at all given the lack of processing power, memory, and speed. Hours to download and install a map.

Even when it "worked" it did so in fits and starts. Directions given by voice contradicted the visualization of turns. Voice lane direction and last second redirects. voice and visual lag and stutter. Given the susceptibility to heat damage they should have made the batteries replaceable, the connectors are terrible, the mounts, etc.

With all the short comings they were still better than trying to drive with a rand mcnally map sprawled across the steering wheel. They could be helpful especially when driving in an unfamiliar place in bad weather, with poor visability or helping to avoid a ticket.

I'm curious to see what's in a few of the other files on the gps.

Is anyone here familiar with this site? How does the site work and is it safe? Thx.

Yes, I think you can trust content from GPS Data Team. Have never had a complaint.
They're also a decent source for POI files of various sorts.

Yes, I think you can trust content from GPS Data Team. Have never had a complaint.
Thank You.

I'm going to present the safety camera feature line of the .bif file to customer / tech support and see what they say. The feature should not have been deactivated.

DEALING WITH TOMTOM CUSTOMER / TECH SUPPORT IS LIKE THAT OLD GREEK DINER SNL CHEESEBURGER SKIT.

FIRST THEY'RE SAYING I NEED A SUBSCRIPTION. THEN THEY'RE SAYING THERE'S NOT ENOUGH MEMORY. WHEN I REMIND THEM THAT THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE DEVICE, THAT EVERYTHING WORKED AND THAT THE FEATURE WAS WORKING THEY SAY THE DEVICE IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED.

IT'S LAUGHABLE.

If you have a chance maybe you could share how to make use of POI files? I understand there are sites that provide safety camera data but don't know how any of it works. Link?

I'm not new to computers. I've always just used the gps the way it was. Updated maps, made backups, saved files, etc. It was sort of a novelty. The one I used in the past got damaged and I didn't make a complete backup of this other gps before the safety camera feature became unavailable. I don't even know why it suddenly became unavailable. I haven't used them for any serious purpose in years.

Thx.

Last edited:
Not very complicated once you have downloaded your radar poi to your computer you must have 3 files 1 Ov2 file, 1 BMP file for the image, 1 OGG file for the sound, that's 3 files you paste them into the file map after opening the GPS files on your computer.

I have .ov2 , .ov2.dct, .ver, .toc files. I also have a .cab file that contains those files and a .png and .gif files. The .png and gif file look like cameras.

I have a .tlv file that's in a folder named poi.

I have three folders with [.cab, .toc, .png and .gif] files. The [.cab] files contain [.ov2, .dct, .ver] files. The .png and .gif files contained in the three folders each depict cameras.

I placed the POI folder containing the .tlv file in the root directory of the gps and the .ov2, .dct, and .ver files in the map folder. It made no difference.

I'm pretty sure I have all the files and folders needed to detect red light cameras. I don't know what I need to do to turn the feature on so that it's active.

Not very complicated once you have downloaded your radar poi to your computer you must have 3 files 1 Ov2 file, 1 BMP file for the image, 1 OGG file for the sound, that's 3 files you paste them into the file map after opening thsafety camera files GPS files on your computer.
The XXL550TM and the VIA1535TM are no longer supported by TomTom. TomTom no longer provides services for the devices and that includes safety camera features.

Do you know of any reliable sites to obtain safety camera files? I've seen a few sites that provide safety camera files but information on the sites I've seen are vague. The feature can be deployed as a point of interest warning.

Thx.

Last edited:
Do you know of any reliable sites to obtain safety camera files? I've seen a few sites that provide safety camera files but information on the sites I've seen are vague.

Thx.
I'm from France so I can't find a radar database for you to download for the United States.

I'll take a look at it. See if I can find any reviews. I've seen a few sites. Don't know if any of them are legit. Thx.

Ask a Question