XXL550TM Speed Cameras Unavailable (Greyed Out)

From your backup if you copy and paste the radar files you can reinstall them.

I assume your radar files are a few years old so most radars are no longer up to date.

As said in the message if you do not have a subscription you cannot redownload your radars.
They were free with this model gps. There are at least 3 backed up versions of safety camera files dated years apart on the hard drive and also dated long after the gps was purchased.

I've updated the safety cameras a few times on the old XXL550TM gps without ever purchasing a subscription. Why it should suddenly become unavailable (greyed out) as a feature is perplexing.

The only thing I can thing of is that tomtom turned off the feature as soon as I connected because they no longer offer it for free and in this case that means it's permanently turned off for this device as it's no longer even supported.

The other thing is that tomtom home has entirely turned off (greyed out) the menu and sub-menu options to "Add Traffic, Voices and other services." "Other services" no longer available also includes the option of reinstalling previously downloaded items on my computer.

Other services that have nothing to do with paid services like the sub-menu of changing startup and shutdown images that would have been part of the main menu to "Add Traffic, Voices and other services." are also unavailable. The main menu option to "Add" is greyed out so I can't even get to the sub-menu options.

Last edited:
The XXL 550 • TM has free lifetime traffic updates that alert you to traffic jams as well as lifetime map updates as far as I remember it doesn't have the speed camera updates.

The XXL 550 • TM has free lifetime traffic updates that alert you to traffic jams as well as lifetime map updates as far as I remember it doesn't have the speed camera updates.
From your backup if you copy and paste the radar files you can reinstall them.

I assume your radar files are a few years old so most radars are no longer up to date.
Please define and identify radar files, extensions, etc. I'm unfamiliar with the term. I'm not dependent on any of these devices. I always wondered how the software worked on them.

I also have a couple of VIA 1535TM that have a similar issue. Although I've been advised here that resetting the gps would not make the safety camera feature unavailable it seems that's the one thing these 3 gps devices have in common was being reset.

I performed a factory reset on them and the safety cameras became unavailable. The XL340.S I have still has the safety camera feature. It wasn't reset or connected to my computer.

Last edited:
Is it possible the NAVCORE 9.510 WNRO issue causing a conflict?

I noticed when tomtom home added the quickgpsfix data files ee_meta.tlv and ee_meta.txt to the gps the dates of the files reflect the date in 2024 the date the files were added to the gps. The files were created on the hard drive in 2021.

If it's a date recognition problem I don't know if I can even fix it. I'm not sure I have a quickgpsfix data file with a creation date before 4/6/2019. Most of the files on the gps were created in 2014 or before and before the 4/6/2019 rollover date.

Normally a factory reset only erases personal information.

Speed cameras can only be deleted if you do not have a subscription and you update the map.

Quickgpsfix is updated every time you connect your GPS to Tomtom Home.

What you can do with Tomtom Home is to delete Quickgpsfix on the GPS then reload it via Tomtom Home.

My thinking is that a conflict or compatibility issue may exist between the old firmware NAVCORE 9.510 and any quickgpsfix files or any files, programs or features including safety cameras more recent than 4/6/2019 due to the WNRO issue. Most of the files on the XXL550TM are dated either 2014 or before.

Although it does seem a little far fetched that WNRO could cause the safety camera feature to stop working . The only problems I saw before I updated quickgpsfix was that the time was wrong on the XXL550TM and the date and time were wrong on the VIA1535TM.

It's possible that updating quickgpsfix and the safety camera feature stop working afterward was a coincidence?

Is it safe to copy and paste files from the computer to the gps using windows explorer or can you only do it using tomtom home?

Last edited:
The ephemeris data delivered as the QuickGPSFix files is the same as it's always been, as has been its interpretation by firmware. No changes there.

Ditto the format for the several files involved with supplying radar/red light camera data. Those formats are the same.

Had it not been for the WNRO issue, there would likely have been no new firmware developed for your XXL550s beyond 9.510. The XXL550 code to resolve WNRO (and the the many other versions for all of the other older devices with this issue) was developed for the XXL550 just for that one purpose.

The ephemeris data delivered as the QuickGPSFix files is the same as it's always been, as has been its interpretation by firmware. No changes there.

Ditto the format for the several files involved with supplying radar/red light camera data. Those formats are the same.

Had it not been for the WNRO issue, there would likely have been no new firmware developed for your XXL550s beyond 9.510. The XXL550 code to resolve WNRO (and the the many other versions for all of the other older devices with this issue) was developed for the XXL550 just for that one purpose.
For some reason red light cameras stopped working and I'm trying to get them to work again. The safety camera option on the gps and the option to add features in tomtom home are both greyed out and unavailable.

I believe I have the necessary files on my hard drive to make the feature work again but I need some guidance. Thx.

There are three folders on the hard drive named: Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge, Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge 6, and Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge 7 The folders contain .cab, .toc, .(.gif and .png camera files) ,ov2, .dct, and .ver files. I'm pretty sure these are the files needed to make the safety camera feature work again.

There are three folders on the hard drive named: Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge, Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge 6, and Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge 7 The folders contain .cab, .toc, .(.gif and .png camera files) ,ov2, .dct, and .ver files. I'm pretty sure these are the files needed to make the safety camera feature work again.
Where are those three folders located on your hard drive? Properly located, they should be where Home can find them and identify versions, etc. for installation.

Which of those is the most recent folder (check the date stamp)? The most recent of the 3 should be the "7" version (they get numbered sequentially when stored on the drive).

C:\Users\ABC\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\safetycamera\

Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge
Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge 6
Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge 7

The folders contain .cab, .toc, (.gif & .png these 2 are images of cameras) (icon-camera.gif and preview-camera-us.png)

There are also .ov2, .dct, and .ver files in other folders.

I noticed the safety cameras on the XXL550TM stopped working for some reason after I connected to tomtom home and updated quickgps fix. Prior to that I also reset the device. So I wasn't sure when or why the safety cameras became unavailable (greyed out).

I tried adding the safety camera feature using tomtom home and it did add the files from the most recent folder #7. Tomtom home created a poi folder in the main directory where it placed a .tlv file. Tomtom home also placed the .ov2, .dct and .ver files in the map folder. I did not see the .gif or .png camera files on the gps. The camera feature remained unavailable (greyed out) so I removed it from the gps using tomtom home.

I copied all the files and the files on the XXL550TM to a thumb drive.

Last edited:
Those files appear to be correctly located on your hard drive.
I assume you've tried to use Home to install the '...Charge 7' version from the "Items on Computer" selections?
Just out of curiosity, what is the date on the '...Charge 7' folder?

Those files appear to be correctly located on your hard drive.
I assume you've tried to use Home to install the '...Charge 7' version from the "Items on Computer" selections?
Just out of curiosity, what is the date on the '...Charge 7' folder?
They're old but should still work. Are they eula keyed to a single gps? I used tomtom home ver. 2.11 to install the safety cameras. The
feature remained greyed out on the gps despite the files having been installed. I did not see the icon-camera.gif and preview-camera-us.png files after I added the feature. If they were supposed to be added where would they have been created?

Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge 12/4/2014
Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge 6 4/15/2015
Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge 7 6/2/2015

Yes, they are keyed, even though your particular set wasn't charged. Different ship sets included or didn't include traffic camera subscriptions, and the files were therefore not sharable.
The fact that Home installed them but they're still gray on the GPS isn't a good sign.
It sounds as though these may have been for the other unit.
Still, these files are 7-8 years old. One could imagine a lot of changes in that amount of time.

Yes, they are keyed, even though your particular set wasn't charged. Different ship sets included or didn't include traffic camera subscriptions, and the files were therefore not sharable.
The fact that Home installed them but they're still gray on the GPS isn't a good sign.
It sounds as though these may have been for the other unit.
Still, these files are 7-8 years old. One could imagine a lot of changes in that amount of time.
It is the same model gps. With the same features. The other gps had navcore ver. 9.541 and a u.s. map. the gps fell and the screen went dark.

This gps was never updated has navcore ver. 9.510 and has a u.s. canada and mexico map. I did a few things, factory reset, connected to tomtom home and installed quickgpsfix but nothing that I'm aware of that should have disabled the safety camera feature.

The one thing I didn't do was back up the gps or copy the files to a thumb drive before doing those things. Once I realized the safety camera feature was disabled I backed up the gps to tomtom home ver. 2.23 and copied all the files on the gps to a thumb drive (should have done it before but by then it was too late). I also copied all the safety camera folders and files on the computer to a thumb drive.

I haven't been able to have two appearances of tomtom home (ver. 2.11 and ver. 2.23) on the computer at the same time. All the files from the other gps are in folders in tomtom home version 2.11. The folders and files were not carried over to tomtom home version 2.23 when I installed it. I should have carried over when the updated version was installed.

I had to reinstall tomtom home ver. 2.11 to install the safety camera feature on this gps.

Can the safety camera files be copied to the gps using explorer or does the feature require installation by tomtom home in order to work?

There are sites that offer the safety camera feature using poi files that can be copied to the gps and as far as I know are not keyed but I'm not exactly sure how it works.

Last edited:
It is the same model gps. With the same features.
... and a different serial number ... and there's the rub if those files were from the other unit. That's how 'paid for' files are keyed. The device knows whether the files you place into its folders belong to its serial number or not.

... and a different serial number ... and there's the rub if those files were from the other unit. That's how 'paid for' files are keyed. The device knows whether the files you place into its folders belong to its serial number or not.
I understand each device has it's own unique serial # and requires it's own eula. So adding the safety camera feature can only be done using tomtom home and cannot be done simply by pasting the files into the appropriate folders.

Tomtom home actually throws a software switch that turns on the feature. Tomtom home will add the files but if the keys don't match the software switch isn't thrown and the feature won't work.

How the safety camera feature became disabled in the first place is still perplexing. Is quickgpsfix also keyed? Could that have triggered the feature becoming disabled? At that point the original safety camera files were still on the gps.

Last edited:
I understand each device has it's own unique serial # and requires it's own eula. So adding the safety camera feature can only be done using tomtom home and cannot be done simply by pasting the files into the appropriate folders.

Tomtom home actually throws a software switch that turns on the feature. Tomtom home will add the files but if the keys don't match the software switch isn't thrown and the feature won't work.

How the safety camera feature became disabled in the first place is still perplexing. Is quickgpsfix also keyed? Could that have triggered the feature becoming disabled? At that point the original safety camera files were still on the gps.
Yes, they can be pasted, but it matters not which way the action is performed. The device does the comparison against the key file to ascertain a serial match.

As noted before, QuickGPSFix is not keyed to a serial number. A given set of QuickGPSFix files would function on all Nav2 devices, and will have nothing whatsoever to do with safety camera functionality.

I'd be curious to see what the content of your ttgo.bif file looks like right about now, in particular, the features selections. Could I get you to *.zip up a copy and attach here?

Yes, they can be pasted, but it matters not which way the action is performed. The device does the comparison against the key file to ascertain a serial match.

As noted before, QuickGPSFix is not keyed to a serial number. A given set of QuickGPSFix files would function on all Nav2 devices, and will have nothing whatsoever to do with safety camera functionality.

I'd be curious to see what the content of your ttgo.bif file looks like right about now, in particular, the features selections. Could I get you to *.zip up a copy and attach here?
Opens as .txt file.

Features=PlusOrRDSTMCTraffic,PlusEphemeris,PlusSafetyCamerasStatic,HomeBackup,TTS,TTSCompressed,TTSLoquendo700,VoiceBrowser,LinkVolumeToSpeed,ZeroVolumeSupported,MapShare,Newyork,Caymann,CaymannAlwaysOn,Durham,Leeway,RouteInfoBackToSummary,CarSymbol,PermanentMapCfg,RDSTMC,InternalFlash,SettingsOverride,SDK,USBAccessories,SimpleMapBrowserButtonBar,MultipleMaps,Traffic,DangerZonesCameras

Is this the line you wanted to see?

Last edited:

Ask a Question