XXL540TM World Edition now available

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540S WE
Received an email from Amazon.com today that the TT 540TM World Edition is now available (in stock) for 272.99 USD so I guess it has been offically released. I checked the TomTom site but they still list it as "out of stock" (and price is about $40 USD cheaper on the TT site). Not sure why Amazon has it available before TT.

I assume they have solved the problem with the serial number entry for the XXL540 series and the lifetime map certificate entry as well?

Anyone seen it for sale in Canada (or any other store front shops in the US) yet? Not sure if I shoud wait or buy one in the US (I'm heading for the US in about a week).

When Amazon announced in May 2008 that the 930 is available, I ordered one.
Two days later I was informed via eMail by Crutchfield that they would ship as soon as stock would be on hand but that they would cancel my order if they couldn't fulfill the shipment by a date six weeks hence.

Since that would have been a couple of days after my leaving on a trip to the UK I canceled the order via eMail.
I was sweating a little blood over that weekend as Amazon had my credit card number and I was in a foreign country where in addition to having bought an expensive unit and not actually having it for my trip, customs would have returned it to the shipper as I would have been away, not being able to give instructions.

Crutchfield reacted in a very personal personal manner and apologised for the situation.
This gained Crutchfield a lot of Goodwill in my books but left a very bad taste for Amazon who informed me two weeks later that the order was cancelled.
[/rant mode]

TomTom often makes a deal with one specific retailer for one of their products, or a complete line, or a special version of a specific model.

They've done it with Costco, Wal-mart, Radio Shack and Amazon.com for theit 'TM' models.....

xxl 540 World Traveler MT Lifetime map info

Tom Tom xxl540 World Traveler MT

I talked to Tom Tom today to make sure that the lifetime map update covers both NA and Europe maps before I made my purchase from Amazon. I am so glad I called Tom Tom because it doesn't. The lifetime update only covers the NA(US,Canada,Mexico) maps if the unit is purchased in the US. So if you want new European maps you will have to pay.

P.S. You would think that when they say Lifetime map updates it would include all the maps on the unit.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I wasn't aware that it would NOT cover the European maps! I assumed that if it is lifetime map updates, and the unit has both NA and EU maps it SHOULD cover both. I may have to read the box/instructions a little closer and maybe try to make a case that it should cover both, or perhaps return it (once I get it that is).

A similar situation occurred regarding the LMG and the 930 unit which has both NA and European maps. Users in Europe had a much easier time getting both their Western_Europe AND NA maps covered while North American users were normally given the same response as for the 540.

HOWEVER.............

On a case by case basis, some NA users DID get both their maps covered.

I would call customer support again, second level if necessary, and argue the point you paid more for a Worldd Traveller edition than just the 'normal' 540 version, the only difference being you got the Western_Europe map; therefore, it should be covered as well in the 'lifetime' umbrella.

In fact, as I remember, a user in Massachusettes (where TomTom North America is based) filed a complaint with the BBB of Mass and, within a day, TT offered up both maps to the individual.

I think there is cause for legitimate concern here.................

(TT's site lists the WTE of 540TM as being $30 more than the 540TM, the only difference being the inclusion of the European map).

Last edited:
A similar situation occurred regarding the LMG and the 930 unit which has both NA and European maps. Users in Europe had a much easier time getting both their Western_Europe AND NA maps covered while North American users were normally given the same response as for the 540.
Which of course, is unacceptable. If you pay the extra for the map, you deserve a CURRENT map. I can't even imagine anyone letting TT off the hook for that one.

Similarly, advertising the WTE LM and then telling a customer that after they've paid for dual continent maps that "lifetime" means that they'll keep current only half of what they've paid for is bogus. If that's their approach, I might buy a bunch of them, have them turn down the LMG for Europe, and keep returning them until they shape up and either be up front about their 1/2 world updates or actually start providing them. NOWHERE that I've seen do they advise that they're going to stiff their WTE LM customers on half the deal.

Contract law application in the U.S. is very well defined in such circumstances -- if a retail contract is ambiguous (and I'd argue that it isn't even ambiguous in this case), the deal is usually construed in favor of the person accepting the contract and NOT in favor of the one writing it.

Ask a Question