XXL not working

TomTom Model(s)
XXL iQ
Hi everyone.
I found this Forum whilst looking for some help with my TT XXL.
I updated to Home v2.9 and tried updating the maps after paying the subscription.
However, it would not finish the operation and since then has been a real p.i.t.a.
I was advised to reformat, which I attempted to do. I was informed that Windows 7 could not format this drive. I then had my system not recognising the drive, among other things.
Finally, somehow, the drive was formatted. Unfortunately I now only have 15GB space for the maps etc. !
The device is now showing a flashing white cross in a red circle, which I assume means it is FUBAR.
TomTom customer service has not managed to sort the mess out. To be quite honest they weren't much help.
Has anyone any idea what I can do, and has anyone else had the same problem?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Andy

Don't worry about the red cross etc. That's to be expected untill everything has been successfully reinstalled on the unit.

Concentrate on that formatting issue.
Somehow you need to get it formatted to FAT32 and to end up with about 1.8GB of space (assuming it's a "2 GByte" model).

Try another PC?
Or maybe even try the program mentioned in THIS TOPIC?

Thanks for the replies.
I've tried everything but to no avail.
Just keeps telling me that Windows couldn't format the drive.
If I click on Computer then F: drive it is there but when Properties is clicked I get this:
Free space: 0 bytes
Used space: 0 bytes
Capacity: 0 bytes
I've tried a different computer and a different version of Windows but I cannot format the device.
It sounds as though the TomTom is u.s. and I suppose I'll have to buy a new one.
I don't think it will be another TomTom, which is a pity because before this incident I couldn't fault it.
TomTom customer support is next to useless. I tried contacting them again but so far have not had a reply.

Um.. I have (rarely) seen situations where the device is recognized as a USB device but the USB comms start to fail after the initial negotiation, and the device starts to show up with no content or capacity at all, just as you have shown. Usually associated with the USB port used on the PC, but since you have changed machines, humor us and see if you can turn up an alternate cable just for a test. Beats sending it to the landfill if that does turn out to be all the problem is about.

Ask a Question