Cannot get camera warnings working on XXL

sab

TomTom Model(s)
540M XXL
I have never been able to get the cameras to work on my XXL. Get an error message everytime I try to download them.

What is the error message?

Do not use a wireless connection.
Do use a wired (CAT5) connection.

Do not connect to a USB hub or to your keyboard.
Do connect directly to the computer, rear port preferred.

If you still get errors try another USB cable.

Are these TomTom's OWN camera databases (downloaded via"Home") or other ones from somewhere else?

Yes the TT cameras from Home.

I hadn't tried in awhile but after reading your responses I tried again and I am no longer even offered the Cameras when I click on them in the Home program.

..and I am no longer even offered the Cameras when I click on them in the Home program.
Makes me wonder if you got a 'bad batch'. Problems with previously downloaded files of this sort (including the QuickFix files) can prevent future downloads from working.

Try this ... delete the existing camera information and see if Home offers you a new load again:

Delete the following files from your map folder (and I forgot to look to see where you live - hope it's in North America - if not, you'll have to figure out the right names for your country!)

Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2
Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTom.ov2.dct
Safety_Cam_US_Canada_TomTomOv2.ver

Then delete all of the subfolders in the following folder from your PC:

MyDocuments\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\safetycamera

There will probably be a whole pile of them in there, each called Safety_Cameras_-_USA__CAN_-_Free_of_Charge-1, -2, -3 etc.

After you've done that, connect back up to Home and tell us how it goes.

I looked in the MAP folder and also in the USA_CANADA_MEXICO folder and niether folder has the files you listed :confused:

I looked in the MAP folder and also in the USA_CANADA_MEXICO folder and niether folder has the files you listed :confused:
They would be in the latter folder on your unit. How about on your PC. Were you able to find those folders there?

Yes I deleted the folder on my PC but did not help. Cannot find it on my unit in either folder.
UPDATE: In the Home program under the TRAFFIC tab I changed the option from RECOMMENDED to ALL. I was then offered the cameras for my map but I get that same error I have always gotten.

"The internet server had an internal error. It may be a temporary problem. Please try again later."

Have been getting this error since I purchased the unit over a year ago,

Last edited:
I had a xxl540 that i purchased 15 months ago with the same exact problem. I contacted tt support several times about this issue and was told it does not work on all 540"s and tt does not gurantee that it will work on all devices. I fixed the problem by purchasing a newer one and selling the older one. Now it downloads safety camers every time an update is available. TT support was not very helpful in reguards to fixing the problem.

it does not work on all 540"s and tt does not gurantee that it will work on all devices.

That's outrageous. If it says it does it on the box, then they cannot wriggle out of it

FIrst response they suggested the same thing as written on this thread, deleting the safety camera files on the unit. After I informed them that these files do not exist this is what they sent back to me,

"Thank you for updating your incident.

I would like to inform you that the safety camera alerts are a one time free download. I would request you to purchase the safety camera alerts for your device."

Does this make any sense?

Does this make any sense?

No.
You've just been answered by the automatic (or semi-automatic) system that picks out "trigger" words in your email and throws back a standard reply based on what you MIGHT have asked, in the hope you'll go away.

It's infuriating and wastes enormous amounts of customers' time.

Far better to ring them and stay on the line until you've got some satisfaction, asking the matter to be referred up to "2nd level" if necessary.

Ask a Question