XXL 535/540 Stopped Working

TomTom Model(s)
XXL535/540
Have had my XXL/535/540 for 5 months. Today I was driving to an appointment and had it plugged into my car as usual and, in the middle of speaking directions, it suddenly stopped and went dark as if it had been turned off. Tried plugging it in to an outlet inside the house and still is dead. The green light on the bottom is on and the light on the adapter is on but the unit is dead. What's up? :confused:

Have you tried resetting the unit by holding the power button about 10 seconds till you hear the drum sounds?

And can you keep it connected to the computer to charge for a few hours? Even better if you have an AC charger.

The warranty part is a good suggestion. Your view on what may get returned is not justified, though.

Have you tried resetting the unit by holding the power button about 10 seconds till you hear the drum sounds?

And can you keep it connected to the computer to charge for a few hours? Even better if you have an AC charger.
Yes, thanks. It's been on the AC charge for a couple of hours and I pressed the button for about 20 seconds and it came on. Will this remedy work when I'm in the car and it's plugged in? Also - what is the cause? Based on other comments I am wondering if I should return it under warranty. Can you advise?

If it died while the charger was connected in the car, points to not enough power being sent to the unit, either by the car charger or an issue with the ciggy lighter outlet.

The green light does go on when the unit is connected to the charger in the car?

Car has a separate port for mobile devices so it wasn't in the cig lighter. Port works fine with other devices and yes, the green light on the unit and the green light on the adapter were both on when it died. I live in Minneapolis - will the cold affect it if I leave it in the car when not in use? Tried it this morning and it works fine again. What do you think about a warranty trade in?

Cold affects all electronic devices (and the car itself) when it comes to battery performance.

If you keep the device in the car overnight, probably not a good idea. Not only from a battery performance point of view, but a safety one as well (against being stolen).

I leave it in the car in a locked garage but.......I will make sure to bring it in from now on. Thanks very much. I'll see how it goes from here! :thumb:

Car has a separate port for mobile devices so it wasn't in the cig lighter. Port works fine with other devices
Does this port still use a cigarette lighter socket, or does it come out on a USB connector (or something else entirely)?

Your port might not be able to supply enough current. Normal USB is limited to 500mA, but the TomTom takes around 1500mA from it's own charger

had the same problem, and when I got home I found out that 2 of the car fuse was burn out, check your car fuse

Ask a Question