XXL 540S World Edition or similar with bluetooth?

New to the forums here and looking for a GPS.

I'm interrested in getting a Tom Tom XXL 540S. I like the big screen, but not sure if it will fit my need:

a) Do Tom Tom GPS turn itself on when car is powered on?

b) Any recommended models like the XXL 540S World Edition that supports bluetooth?

c) Anyone used the bluetooth feature? What was your experience? As good as built in car bluetooth?

d) Do all Tom Tom GPS come with updated maps including for Europe if I buy it in the US? I saw something about 30-day window to do this.

I waded through amazon.com's huge list of GPS' filtered by Tom Tom brand, but so far is a little lost in the myriads of devices that all appear kind of similar with different price points. I was told the 540S is highly regarded.

I even called Tom Tom a few times, but don't think they will give me unbiased information.

Help a beginner would be much appreciated!

a) Do Tom Tom GPS turn itself on when car is powered on? Not on, only off (if vehicle power to the outlet drops when you shut off with the key).

b) Any recommended models like the XXL 540S World Edition that supports bluetooth? Closest thing is only sold in Europe. Apart from the WTE models (none of which include BT), only the GO940/950 models come with both US and European maps from the factory. Neither of those models are sold where you are (in the U.S.). Why? Beats us. We've been wondering ever since the 940 appeared. Neither of those models has the 5" screen, though. More on that later...

c) Anyone used the bluetooth feature? What was your experience? As good as built in car bluetooth? IMHO, no, but my own vehicle's BT setup is pretty nice by comparison to most. There are some firmware levels that users have reported where the BT connection can be an issue.

d) Do all Tom Tom GPS come with updated maps including for Europe if I buy it in the US? I saw something about 30-day window to do this. DO NOT be misled. If you buy the 540TM-WTE in Europe, you only get the updated maps for Europe - you'd have to buy a subscription to get updates for the U.S. In your case, it's just the reverse. You'll get map updates for the U.S., but not for Europe.

Since TomTom chose NOT to sell any successor to the GO930 here in the U.S., you're kind of between a rock and a hard place on this one. You might consider trying to find what's left of the 930's that are out there, and buy the update service. Or consider buying a 740TM and purchasing the European maps.

What you'll quickly discover is that the European maps have grown to large to fit in their entirety anyway unless the model you select has room for an SD card where you can park the Euro map. This is now also an issue for the 540TM-WTE (and 540-WTE) since it has no provision for an SD card. It is necessary to load pieces of Europe as needed from a PC.

A lot depends upon your specific needs and intended use for European maps.

Ask a Question