xxl-540s new map issues.

hello to all
i have a xxl540s that the maps were from 2008 usa,canada,mexico
so i bought the newest one that just came out, but i only wanted the USA map. any way i did a test run to see if anything was upgraded but to my amaze i found flaws. i set it to a 30 mile run on a straight line of site.on a main road well the damn thing had me make a left turn 16 miles in to the drive 3 miles out of course to get on a toll road to then get of the highway 2 miles down the road to back on the main road WTF.!!! mind you with the old maps it was right on point.
i call customer service explain to the guy that took the call and he insisted that that was still the fasted route compare to the straight down the road trip.so i ask how is 3 to 5 miles of course to then bring you back to course is the fastest and again he said it is then he suggested i set it to avoid toll roads and i said why would i need to do that if i never had to do that with my 2008 maps. and his answer to that was if i'm not happy with the new map setting to go back to my old map.unreal well any way any body else having issues with new maps.???

If you can provide us with start and end points, we can look at it. Also, in your 'Planning preferences section', what all do you have configured?

As for avoiding or not avoiding toll roads, if you really do wish to avoid them (regardless of what it does to the routing time), that's always something that needs to be selected. It may not matter in this instance, but it may prove to be relevant to you at some point.

I suspect the IQ routing in the 2013 map is indeed seeing a faster route by selecting the route it did. Try to disable IQ routing and try the route again. See what happens.

STARTING=124 barrington dr kissimmee fl 34758
FINISH=1411 sandlake rd orlando fl
you can also try it in mapquest,google and so on

If you can provide us with start and end points, we can look at it. Also, in your 'Planning preferences section', what all do you have configured?

As for avoiding or not avoiding toll roads, if you really do wish to avoid them (regardless of what it does to the routing time), that's always something that needs to be selected. It may not matter in this instance, but it may prove to be relevant to you at some point.

i'll try that later on when i get home but like i explain to the guy how is doing a going around loop faster than a straight line

I suspect the IQ routing in the 2013 map is indeed seeing a faster route by selecting the route it did. Try to disable IQ routing and try the route again. See what happens.

With your XXL540s it's pretty easy to create the route that you believe is better by using Itinerary Planning and appropriate waypoints to force its track. Why not do that and then see what different journey timings your route and TT's route predict and whether TT did choose the faster.

OK -- let me guess. It's that stretch of the Fla Turnpike that it using that is bothersome? Within a fraction of a hair, it's a crap shoot for time depending upon whether either route has any traffic. The route coming straight south on the Orange Blossom DOES have some traffic lights, and it's possible that there will be slow traffic or accidents on either one. At the perfect time of day, the tollway beats out Orange Blossom by just a couple of minutes.

So what's happened is that the IQRoutes data in the new map believes that, however small, there's an advantage time-wise in taking the tollway. If you're set for "Fastest" and allowing the unit to use tollways whenever it likes, that's how it is likely to route you. If you don't want to pay the freight for the tollway for a very marginal advantage, then you DO need to configure your unit to either avoid tollways or ask each time.

yes that is what i have done set it to ask for toll roads will test drive it some more this weekend

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not an uncommon thing for routes to change from time to time as TomTom develops more refined (or just new) average speed data for roads. The IQRoutes data that is embedded in your map slices and dices the entire network in 15 minute segments by day of the week (it often fails on holidays, of course!). A mph here or there on just a few road segments will decide the 'coin toss' one way or the other. I also have a situation here where even a small amount of traffic delay on a particular non-toll interstate will cause the current mapping to suggest a tollway as an alternative if I'm headed to the SE portion of Denver. If the average speed on the non-toll road ever drops much, it'll no doubt start suggesting the tollway first unless I finally give in and use the "Never" option.

Ask a Question