XXL 540S has frozen shaking screen

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540TM WTE
I bought an XXL 540S from eBay with a cracked screen with the idea that, being the handy-dandy guy that I am, I'll buy a new screen, install and away I go.

When I first got it, I could charge it and the screen lit up and it would go to the main menu. The screen flickered and I couldn't make any choices due to the touchscreen function being ruined because (I assumed) of the cracks.

When I pushed the power button and held it, the device powered off.

I took apart the broken unit, took pics of the back of the screen, faithfully copied all the numbers for it down, emailed all first to a Seller in China, he assured me his screen was 100% OEM and 100% compatible for my unit, and so I bought it.

I installed the new screen and I believe I got it right: there was a black slide bar that had to be pulled out, the new ribbon slid under, and the black retaining bar pushed back to lock the ribbon in place.

Then I plugged in the USB cable (that works 100% on my XXL 540 TM WTE) and pushed the power button.

The screen came on, flickering, but I was able to press YES when it asked if I wanted to connect to my Mac.

Then TOMTOM Home (v 2.9.2.1693) tried to do an update.

I selected all the items to install, and then it said that this device was not registered to me.

So I registered it to another email address, logged in, and clicked to apply the updates.

And now its stuck on a screen with just TOMTOM followed by a white circle with 2 red hands inside the white circle. This is inside a greyish background which is then surrounded by black, with the grey fading into the black.

There's also an ever so slight vertical flicker, maybe 1/16" up and down) of that TOMTOM-HANDS image thats very rapid, and every 2 or 3 or 10 or 15 seconds or so that image seems to do a flip of a sort; like a mirror image of that TOMTOM-HANDS appears for a brief instant, barely noticeable because its there so short, and then goes back to the frozen screen.

I finished the installation of the screen including peeling two 1/4" x 2.5" strips of what appears to be a teflon-like tape (that has half of its long side covered with an adhesive) off the old screen and re-adhering it to the new screen. Closed it all up making sure all the snaps lined up, put the top of the unit into the case first and tilted it back and snapped it into the rest of the case, and screwed the screws back. Seemed to go together real smooth.

Now when I plug the USB cable into it, TOMTOM Home doesn't see the unit. The green light on the bottom of the unit turns on, but nothing else happens. And neither does the unit show up as a drive on my Mac desktop.

I tried it on a PC where I also have TOMTOM Home installed but it too doesn't see the XXL 540S. My XXL 540 TM WTE works fine here too.

When I start up TOMTOM Home and click to update, TOMTOM Home says I need to connect a device first. So it doesn't see that this XXL 540S is connected.

I can hold the power button down as long as I want but the unit will not power down. When the battery runs down, I'm sure it will turn off, but then, I'm worried about being able to charge the thing up and run whatever advise I get from this forum.

Any advise is very much appreciated!

UPDATE: I did some research and found how to power it down by holding the power down button for 30 sec's or longer.

Powered up and it asked me for the language, voice, time and then says,
"No maps found! Connect your device to TomTom HOME and check for updates. Install all listed updates. If the problem still occurs, visit www.tomtom.com/support and search for 'No maps found.' Follow the instructions in the help topics."

I did that and tried a few things.

Then one help was to uninstall the maps stored on both my XXL540S and my Mac. I was hesitant to do this. I'm worried that if I do this, I won't be able to restore anything.

Am I right?

Further, the screen still flickers ... what does this mean?

Thanks!

Ask a Question