TomTom XXL 540S World traveler space

So, I bought a 540S World Traveler with the US/Mexico/Canada and the Western Europe maps installed. The first time I went to update the maps to get the freshest version, I discovered that the updated Western & Central Europe map had grown so large that it won't fit on the device with the US/Mexico/Canada map. I've been through the process where I first delete the current map and then try to install the updated map, but it is still too large to fit.

Am I missing something or are we actually (hard to believe) at the point that where the device won't do the key thing that it was so recently sold to do? (i.e. hold the two maps at once)?

Comments?
:(

When you attempt to update the Western_Europe map, indeed, the entire Europe map will no longer fit.

The entire Europe map IS downloaded to your computer but you must load Europe in zones. For example, you install Europe_West which includes countries such as UK, Italy, Spain. But if you need Germany, for Example, you must go to Home's Manage my Device, device tab, maps and click on Europe_West. You'll see a link to 'change zones', in which you have to move Europe_West to the computer and replace it with a different zone on the unit.

That may be misleading. While there is not enough space on the device to hold the Europe 2GB map it can not be downloaded. Maps are only downloaded if and when they can fit on the device. The various Zone maps can not be locally extracted from the single 2GB map but are each a separate download.

If the OP wishes to download the entire 2GB map then he will need to delete the North America map from his device to make space for it. If he wants to have both North America plus some countries of Europe at the same time then he will need to settle for a Zone of Europe. For example the Western Zone has just the UK, Ireland, France, Benelux, Iberia, Switzerland and Italy (but not Germany, Scandinavia, Austria, the Balkans of other countries in Central and Eastern Europe).

To download a Region, he first must ask to download the entire Europe 2GB map. He will then be offered the option to delete stuff, including the North American map, to make space for it. he should uncheck ALL the offered deletions and then click Continue. Next will come a screen explaining the Zones. Click Continue and he will be offered a choice of the five Zones that can each coexist with the USA map on the 4GB World Traveler device and he will see the countries present in each of those Zones.

TomTom WorldMap

Well, I am surprised at the limits of the XXL 540-S. A single function device that can't hold the map for all of Europe isn't what I expected.

Comment on the moderator 'We can agree to disagree' - passive aggressive behaviour - not what I would expect from a moderator.

Comment on the moderator 'We can agree to disagree' - passive aggressive behaviour - not what I would expect from a moderator.

Thank you for your analysis, doctor. Do I get billed? :rolleyes:

By the way........apologies to tgold who is exactly correct about the downloading process necessary for the entire European map. I was wrong (not the first time) about it all being downloaded to the computer first.

Last edited:
Well, I am surprised at the limits of the XXL 540-S. A single function device that can't hold the map for all of Europe isn't what I expected. .

That model only has 2 gigs and can only handle the NA map in its entirety. The 540 WTE has 4 gigs of storage and still runs into the 'size' wall to include all of Europe in one shot. You CAN install both Europe_West and Europe_East along with NA at once but you can't install both Europe_West and Europe_Central (I think it's called) at once.

So, if you want to plan a route from the UK or Italy or France (all in West) to a point in Germany (Central), it can't be done.

Ask a Question