XXL 540m, lillte incorrect destination..

Recently, I bought XXL540m. Today, I tested it with 3 destinations. One was correct. But the other 2 were little incorrect. Final desinations on gps were about 0.25 miles away from actual destinations. How could I fix it?

Recently, I bought XXL540m. Today, I tested it with 3 destinations. One was correct. But the other 2 were little incorrect. Final desinations on gps were about 0.25 miles away from actual destinations. How could I fix it?
Much depends upon the accuracy of addresses in the map information. Rather than recording each and every address for the map, ranges of addresses are assigned, usually on a block-by-block basis. This is often a much bigger problem in larger commercial and shopping areas where a lot of territory may be covered by even a single address. For example, you might select a POI which is a business in a mall or strip mall, all of which shares a single address.

0.25mi is quite a miss, though.

Can you give us an example of where you were headed and where the TomTom put you?

Do you have a current map (860)?

Were these addresses or pois?

The mapping data is not perfect, especially when it comes to specific addresses. Actual numbers are not stored in the map data, just ranges. So, it might know the range for a specific block is from 100-200 and if you ask for, say, 135, it extrapolates how far along the block that 135 should be.

Sometimes it is dead on, sometimes really close, sometimes.... not so much.

All maps from 710 to 860 have placed my house 8 houses away from actual. :eek:

Thank you very much for the reply!!

I updated the latest map when I got it. Probably, I have current map (860).

I put specific address.
One was my aprtment adress. 1728 E. Colorado Ave, Urbana IL. Acutally, 1728 is buliding number.
The other one that I tried was my office. 1304 W. Pennsylvania Ave, Urbana, IL. This buliding is on the right side of W Pennsulyvanai Ave.

Is this all problem with all gps or only with this gps?

Thanks!!!!!

I honestly don't think any model or any brand, for that matter, is going to be 100% accurate all the time.

Further, some areas of the US supposedly have better mapping data with Garmin models while other area seem more accurate with TomToms.

Ask a Question