TomTom XXL 540M Not connecting to PC or Mac

I got a TomTom 540 M for my Wife but unfortunately she couldn't get it to connect to her NetBook (When she hookup the TomTom device, her PC (Windows 7) recognizes the TomTom device with Storage when you go to "Computer" but not when you go to myTomTom (each time I unhook the USB, it recognizes that I'm disconnecting it and when I reconnect, it prompt me if I want to connect to the PC but MyTomTom always says "Not connected " and please connect your Navigation Device to get update ..

:mad::mad: I haven't been able to enter my Activation Code for LifeTime Map :mad::mad:

(Same identical situation with MAC with Mac version of myTomTom software :(

Welcome to TTF.

Try resetting the 540 by holding the power button for about 10 seconds and see if Home recognizes the unit.

But also, go to tomtom.com and register the unit with an email address and password. Doesn't even need to be a real address, just in the form of (e-mail address removed).

Then when in Home, log in using the email address you used to create your account at tomtom.

I have tried but without a great result :(

I have reset the unit few times with no luck. As I have stated, my PC or Mac recognizes the unit as a USB device but not when you go to the software "MyTomTom" with two hand icon :confused: ... That means, I cannot follow the rest of the direction to enter my Promotional Code to receive my LifeTime Map update (or even one time for that matter :rolleyes:) .. (Searching the forum, I noticed that I'm not alone with this issue. SOme XP pro users encountered similar issue in the past. I actually haven't seen a resolution.

(on a different note, I did register under tomtom.com (mytomtom) and have an account. Thanks)

ichoudhury,

You're saying "MyTomTom". I'm pretty sure the XL-540 uses TomTom HOME to update – which is a program you download to your computer – and not a website you visit on the web. Are you sure you're using the right thing?

If so, you can download TomTom HOME here:
http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=16&tab=87

Last edited:
Screenshot of MyTomTom

Checkout the Attached TomTom.gif file to see what I am seeing (This is after answering "Do you want to connect to "Computer"? and waiting for it to initialize ..

In fact, I just recall I did create the "myTomTom" profile in Tomtom.com but did not have any section to register the product. Anyway, let me try the help # to see if I go anywhere .. I hate to go through the return hassle ... :mad::mad::mad:

Attachments

• TomTom.gif
    TomTom.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 530
ichoudhury,

You're saying "MyTomTom". I'm pretty sure the XL-540 uses TomTom HOME – which is a program you download to your computer and not a website you visit on the web. Are you sure you're using the right thing?

I did download the software ... MyTomTom 3.0.1.190 (Looking at the Mac at the moment)

Edit: Looking at the link you provided, I don't think I have it (so I may have downloaded the wrong software .. DOH! Ok, I will update you shortly. Thanks.

Last edited:
MyTomtom is for the newest app 10.x models only.

For older models you need Tomtom HOME, a separate program for older Tomtom models (from the earlier link).

You should uninstall MyTomtom as it may cause problems/conflicts with Tomtom HOME.

That was the case

I had to uninstall MyTomTom and install the software from the link provided by Rick F (Thank you!) and I was able to update, add the activation code and I'm in business. :D

Ask a Question