Just got an XXL 540M and already I think I seriously screwed it up...

Hello. I just got my new Tom Tom GPS in the mail today and was getting it set up. I have the XXL 540M. I activated my lifetime maps download and as the download started it looked like the file was going to be too big with the current maps file on the GPS. Just prior to this I tried to download an update and I got an error saying there was not enough space for the new file. So I stopped the maps download and copied the maps file to my computer. I then deleted the maps file from the GPS and tried to download the new maps file. Well, it could not download it. It kept saying there were no new updates to download. I have tried everything to restore the maps file to no avail. I managed, in Windows Explorer to get the file copied back to GPS and after waiting more than a half hour for it to copy, when I tried to unzip the file it said there was not enough space on the device. I have tried everything to fix this and I'm afraid that I seriously screwed things up. It seemed that if I could easily copy a file to my computer that I could copy it back to the GPS just as easily. Whenever I go under the tab for files on my computer and I check off that file the only option I get it to delete the file from my computer. So, is there anything I can do to fix this or am I screwed?

P.S.-like an idiot, I did not do a back up of the system. I figured that I would be able to just copy a file from the GPS to my computer and back again very easily but it seems this is not the case. :mad:

Ok, I got the maps file off the GPS and was able to free up some space. Now I just need to figure out how to get the maps back on there... :confused:

Normally, just restoring the map folder using Explorer should do it.

What do you see on the unit when you look at it with Explorer? Do you see a map folder? You can also remove voices you don't need using Home's Manage my Device. Try removing all voices and see if things are better (You can add them back later).

Make a complete Explorer backup prior to doing anything, though.

Ok, I went into the zipped folder USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P on my computer and copied the individual files to the folder USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P on the GPS. Becase of the really slow USB connection I'm looking at an hour and a half for everything to copy. Keeping fingers crossed. I'll post if I have success.

Is this your zipped file or a downloaded zip file from TomTom?

If the latter, see here:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/genera...nstall-downloaded-map-without-using-home.html

It's a zipped file from TT. It was created when I copied the map files to my computer in Home. I went to C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents \ TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\ map\ but the Map folder is empty. The zipped folder USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P is in C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents \ TomTom\HOME\FromDevice. The zipped folder has 3 .dct files, a bunch of .dat file and another folder called Brand with a bunch of .bmp files that look like POI icons for hotels and gas stations.

Now under C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents \ TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\program there are several folders...

TomTom_Application_for_TomTom_XXL_530S__TomTom_XXL
TomTom_Application_for_TomTom_XXL_530S__TomTom_XXL_5
TomTom_Application_for_TomTom_XXL_530S__TomTom_XXL_5-1
TomTom_Application_for_TomTom_XXL_530S__TomTom_XXL_5-2
TomTom_Application_for_TomTom_XXL_530S__TomTom_XXL_5-3
TomTom_Application_for_TomTom_XXL_530S__TomTom_XXL_5-4

When I go into the first of these folders I see a blue file cabinet icon called 8.550.xxl2009_tts.CAB-navcore-XXL, a .toc file and a PNG image file. I see pretty much the same thing in the other folders. Am I anywhere near the right track? I stopped my download with a litte bit more than an hour to go so I could check to see there was anything in the map folder and I was bummed that nothing was there.

I checked the USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P folder on the GPS and even though I stopped the copy some files did get copied. The Brand folder with the POI icons, several .dat files, a .dct file, a .pna file and a META file. I'm confused now... :confused:

All those is your previous post are application downloads. You can dump all but the most recently dated one.

The brand folder and its associated .bmp files goes within the USA_Canada_Mexico_P map folder on your unit.

All those other files you see also go in the USA_Canada_Mexico_P map folder on your unit.

Ok so the .dat files, along with the Brand folder in the zipped folder USA_Canada_and_Mexico_P on my computer are the ones that need to be copied over to the GPS then?

Just got an XXL 540M and I fixed the problem I was having...

Whew! I finally got the correct map files copied to the GPS and I also got the map update downloaded and installed with no issues. Everything seems to be working ok.

I do have a couple of minor questions though. When I first turned the GPS on it had me go and set my preferences, select my country, set the time, etc. I get through all that and then when I get to the legal disclaimer a little box in the upper right corner pops us and it says, Unable to store settings, file access error. Then the next time I turn the unit on it has me go through the preferences again. I have tried this about 4 or 5 tim es and it keeps doing it. Just to test things I had it save my home address and a favorite and those were saved with no problem. Any ideas what might be wrong with this?

My other question is I have the unit on and sitting on the desk next to me. It seems that every two minutes it says replanning. Is this normal? During the time it took me to type up this post replaning must have popped up at least 10 times. I have not had the chance to try the GPS out in the car so I don't know how it reacts while the car is moving.

I have one other question. Is the unit supposed to make a noise when you tap the screen? I know on my wife's Garmin every time you tap the screen you get a little 'bloop'. The womans voice works fine and I deleted all the other voices of the unit. I'm just not sure if it's supposed to make a little more noise than just the woman giving directions.

Edit: Well, it looks like the sounds have gotten deleted. The Sounds folder on the device is empty. Is there anyplace where I can download them? If I can't get these problems fixed then I think I'm just going to send this unit back and have them send me a new one. I've already wasted so much time trying to get this fixed and I'm getting frustrated...

Last edited:
Make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents.

For the settings not being saved, download and run the Clear Flash tool found here:
Clear Flash tool

Run it 3 times.

Also, on your unit, select 'Clear route'. That will stop the 'replanning'.

No, Tomtoms don't have audio feedback when the screen is touched.

Also....it's OK... the "sounds" folder is usually empty.
It's available for you to put your OWN sounds in (wav or ogg format only)
The built-in sounds are all stored in one file called data.chk

Ok, after trying several different things, including the clear flash tool several times, I sent the unit back. Just got my replacement unit today. Already did a backup and I am downloading updates now. So far, so good.

I did have a question though. The cigarette lighter in the car I currently have does not work so I can't use the car charger. I'll be getting a new car in a couple of months. In the mean time, will plugging the unit into my computer charge the battery or will I have to spend the extra money to get the home charger?

In the mean time, will plugging the unit into my computer charge the battery or will I have to spend the extra money to get the home charger?
Yes, your computer will charge your unit. However, it will take between 2X and 2.5X as long to do the job (computer USB ports don't supply much current compared to the cig adapter), so be sure you remember to plug it in before you hit the sack.

Ask a Question