XL Expansion Card? & Copying from Device

Good Afternoon All,

Please forgive my ignorance, I purchased a tomtom one 3rd edition 2 weeks ago, did the map update and LOST EVERYTHING. I returned it and got the XL. (I know that it is the same unit only with a bigger screen). Have been playing with it the last couple of days, and I JUST FOUND the expansion slot on the bottom of the unit covered by a sticker. I inserted a 1GB card, the tomtom immediately connected and ran an update for cell phone connection and voices to the card. But when I disconnected the unit I got a message (visual) with a red X over the SD card. I am very skiddish about doing the map update (guarnetee SP?) for fear of losing everything again. If the unit doesnt support mp3s, what would I use the SD card for and HOW do I use it?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE:confused:

Good Afternoon All,

Please forgive my ignorance, I purchased a tomtom one 3rd edition 2 weeks ago, did the map update and LOST EVERYTHING. I returned it and got the XL. (I know that it is the same unit only with a bigger screen). Have been playing with it the last couple of days, and I JUST FOUND the expansion slot on the bottom of the unit covered by a sticker. I inserted a 1GB card, the tomtom immediately connected and ran an update for cell phone connection and voices to the card. But when I disconnected the unit I got a message (visual) with a red X over the SD card. I am very skiddish about doing the map update (guarnetee SP?) for fear of losing everything again. If the unit doesnt support mp3s, what would I use the SD card for and HOW do I use it?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE:confused:

First of all, BACKUP the entire contents of your unit to a folder on your hard drive using Explorer, not TomTom Home. Make sure that the Folder option in Windows is set to show hidden files before the backup.

Having done that, the red X signifies the unit can't 'see' the operating system. For your model, the operating system AND map must both reside in the same location, whether that be internal memory or the sd card. (The operating system files are the loose files in the root of TomTom's memory -- not Folders).

So, if you have the map folder AND the operating system files in the same location when you start the unit up and if you still see the red X, then try a pin reset with a paperclip and try again.

Ask a Question