Largest SD expansion possible - SD or SDHC?

JSB

TomTom Model(s)
Hello all,
I'll be receiving my new 920 any day now. Can anyone tell me the largest SD or SDHC I can go on my 920? Has 8gb SDHC worked for anyone?

Does the SDHC actually fully work for those who have used it, with all the manufacturer claimed SDHC storage actually available? I know that it isn't officially recognized as supported or compatible.

Do I just stay safe with the 4gb SD Sandisk Ultra II?

Thanks,
JSB

Hello all,
I'll be receiving my new 920 any day now. Can anyone tell me the largest SD or SDHC I can go on my 920? Has 8gb SDHC worked for anyone?

Does the SDHC actually fully work for those who have used it, with all the manufacturer claimed SDHC storage actually available? I know that it isn't officially recognized as supported or compatible.

Do I just stay safe with the 4gb SD Sandisk Ultra II?

Thanks,
JSB

SDHC is NOT supported.

Thanks, but if you read my original post, you'll come to realize that you're not telling me anything I don't already know.

So back to my original question......

I'm sorry but - what answer are you expecting? According to TomTom SDHC simply won't work. What can be more authoritative than that?

Even though this doesn't respond to your question, you (and other people) may find it interesting, as SD cards can be tricky - and counterfeit, as you can see!

I can confrim that the Sandisk 4gb SDHC card DOES work in the 920. I filled it up with music and it reads all of it.

So would you format any card > 2GB as FAT32?

Thanks everyone for the confirmation that the Sandisk 4GB SDHC actually does work.

Until recently, I've always had flash memory sized at 2GB or less, and always formatted as FAT. Am I correct in my assumption that you must format flash above 2GB as FAT32?

I appreciate your help.

JSB

Their is no need to format the flash card; it's memory not a hard disk. Just insert the memory stick in the GO 920 slot and copy folders and files onto it using Windows explorer. With the memory stick inserted, in Windows explorer it shows like Tomtom has two separate disks; in my case it shows E: drive for the 4 GB SDHC and F: drive for the internal memory.

Does playing music interfere with mapping?

ON my previous 910 when I played music the TT could not do both at the same time effectively. After a few miles playing music the TT would be off track, thinking I am not where I am. Has anyone had this problem before with the new 920?? Just got mine yesterday and it is working well. Just got to try music and find an FM channel that is clear as the one I found still had static on it when the TT was not saying; maybe that is because either the TT is not broadcasting enough energy or the antenna is in the back of the car.

I am using the FM broadcast on the 920 and it works really well as long as you find a "dead spot" between broadcasting stations on you car radio; on my car radio I use the manual tuning to find a good setting frequency for the GO to be on. Most of the car radios are digital so the tuning sometimes will be in .2 MHz steps, so try to make sure that the frequency you find free for the GO is at least .4 MHz away from any broadcasting station if possible; of course when you start to move around you might start to pick up other FM stations as well. I know that it can be tricky; on travel in Chicago I was able to use 87.9 MHz with no problem. Good luck.

Their is no need to format the flash card; it's memory not a hard disk. Just insert the memory stick in the GO 920 slot and copy folders and files onto it using Windows explorer. With the memory stick inserted, in Windows explorer it shows like Tomtom has two separate disks; in my case it shows E: drive for the 4 GB SDHC and F: drive for the internal memory.

That's incorrect. Formatting a flash drive can solve problems and you can format it for FAT32 or NTFS.

I'm sorry but - what answer are you expecting? According to TomTom SDHC simply won't work. What can be more authoritative than that?

Just b/c TomTom has stated that SDHC is not supported, it doesn't mean that it doesn't work. This is what the OP was getting at.

I can confrim that the Sandisk 4gb SDHC card DOES work in the 920. I filled it up with music and it reads all of it.

There's more than one version of the Sandisk 4GB SDHC. Where did you buy yours? Which model is it? Is it the Ultra II? Do you mind giving us the exact model number? I just want to be sure I'm getting the same one as you did.

Last edited:
ON my previous 910 when I played music the TT could not do both at the same time effectively. After a few miles playing music the TT would be off track, thinking I am not where I am. Has anyone had this problem before with the new 920?? Just got mine yesterday and it is working well. Just got to try music and find an FM channel that is clear as the one I found still had static on it when the TT was not saying; maybe that is because either the TT is not broadcasting enough energy or the antenna is in the back of the car.

Music and navigation at the same time is not a problem.

There's more than one version of the Sandisk 4GB SDHC. Where did you buy yours? Which model is it? Is it the Ultra II? Do you mind giving us the exact model number? I just want to be sure I'm getting the same one as you did.

re card

mine is the blue Sandisk card with the red markings across the top, it states that it is 4.0GB and below this is the the SD symbol and below this is the HC symbol, on the rear it just states 4.0

I cannot find a version anywhere, this is the regular card and not the Ultra or Ultra II

tim

TomTom Go 920 does not read music from SD Card

Hello, I have Sandisk Ultra II 2 GB Card. I copied some MP3 files into the root of the card but can't play them from Tomtom Go 920. Any trick?

Thanks

SanDisk Extreme III 2 GB SD Card

Hello,
Just got my 920 yesterday. I first backed it up as per "Best Practices" from this forum. Then I began the upgrade process. I installed a SanDisk Extreme III SD 2GB card, and am noticing that any additional downloads from TomTom.com are installing to the SD card. There is still the same as shipped 156MB free space on the Internal memory. I would suppose the TomTom system needs that free space for operational reasons. So is the 920 smart enough to begin using the SD card for additional downloaded voices, etc? I don't remember specifying for it to store those additional items there.

Other question: Since I've already made an original backup, can I just make a second backup of it with the download/updated items, ie. maps, tomtom application, voices, etc., and then after that backup, delete the Western_and_Central_Europe folder, since I won't be needing that 1.5GB map info anytime in the near future?

JSB

Ask a Question