XL 335s new owner - won't load up nav at all (attachment)

I have a headache, I'm severely disappointed being a first-time GPS nav buyer, and I have spent at least 15 hours in the last 3 days getting my wife's Xmas gift to work. No need to go into excruciating detail as I've already seen many people in my same situation gnashing their teeth in frustration because of this supposed plug-and-play device.
:eek:
And it still doesn't even work.

"HOME" should be renamed "HELL" and how on God's green earth does it take 4 hours to copy 1.6g via USB from HOME to my TT for the very first time?

Rant aside. I "mistakenly" used HOME right away to update, backup, and now try to recover usage of this device. I've lurked in these forums for hours searching for a solution, and am tired of searching. I know the thread is around here somewhere in this fabric factory of questions and answers, but I can't find it. So here's a new thread.

I'm running Win7 Ult. x64, so the picture walk-throughs and explanations don't quite match up. You super-mods do an amazing job here, so mad props to you all. You have probably saved this company...

- When I connected it the first time, I was confused by the 2 seconds of "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT DISCONNECT!" then the 4 seconds of "cable connected to the blank device" screen, then the first screen again over and over again. So, when it installed everything and said it was resetting, it was blank and "off" for about 3 minutes. So, I unplugged the sucker when it was not showing the "do not disconnect." I think this was REALLY bad.
- I reconnected it and it asked me if I wanted to run chkdsk. "Why would I want to do that?"
- My device is now not recognized by my computer "USB device not recognized."
- Hence, it does not start up HOME when plugged in.
- When starting home and plugging in the device, it still isn't recognized.
- Only when I do the hard reset (pressing and holding power button for 15 seconds) does it show the boot screen, run a neat yellow bar across the screen, and connect to home.
- HOME shows my device as ONE XL, but at the bottom right, my device is shown as Tom Tom XL.s IQ routes edition.
- "Operate my One XL" doesn't work and shows some C# greek. "Oops, we can't help you, you submitted anonymous info!" OMG
- Backup in My Docs folder shows all files present and accounted for
- Device drive G: on my puter shows about 200mb free of 1.91g.
- HOME shows all maps updated and on my device.
- When I press the on button now, it flashes the boot logo for a milisecond, then nothing.
- Doing the hard reset 15 second thing does the drums, logo, neat yellow bar, back to logo, then off after about 5 seconds. Then nothing.

This is a pretty thorough explanation of my issues, and I would appreciate any help in presenting my lovely, and long-suffering wife with a working GPS product so she can stop calling me for directions at work every few days.

regards,

Jeremy

Attachments

• tom tom HELL.jpg
    tom tom HELL.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 490
Welcome to TTF, Jeremy.

Don't worry about the apparent discrepency you see in the reported model in the screenshot you provided. The 335S in North America is equivalent to the One IQ routes edition in Europe except that the North American model comes with text to speech while the European model does not.

As you've seen, Home doesn't 'play nice' with some 64 bit Window 7 units (at its very best, Home is pretty junky).

Your model is just usb 1.1 compliant, not usb 2. Hence the long (hours) time necessary to copy the map.

You do have a backup (that is good!) but make an Explorer backup now. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Then, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit. NO folders or their files. Next, connect the unit to Home, it should offer an application. Accept it and install. Then disconnect the unit properly from Home. Use the device disconnect icon at the bottom right of the screen and wait till it says ok and still wait till you see the unit start to reboot. Then disconnect.

If the problem isn't reolved (and make sure you DO have that Explorer backup!), then reformat the unit. Don't use quickformat. Copy back just the map folder. Again, connect the unit and accept the application. If it boots properly, then you can use Home to download the voices again.

Also, try running Home in XP compatible mode.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot later this evening and see what happens.

USB 1.1 *shakes head in disbelief*

The 335S is USB 1.1, but it has a defective internal USB driver that makes it have even slower file transfer, and half the time the transferred files are corrupt.

If you can get HOME to see it (try some of these resets first if you cant), then go to "Update my XL" and update the application. Keep repeating that until you get application 9.025, which fixes the USB bug.

After that, follow dhn's format instructions. Formatting with the preinstalled defective USB driver could cause all sorts of errors.

Tomtoms aren't fully compatible with win7, they really should start noting that on the box.

Once you update the application and use Windows XP, Vista, or a mac, you'll be fine.

If you update the application and use Windows 7, things might work or might not work.

Last edited:
thank you. i am so grateful. i hope i can contribute to helping others on here as you do, now that i know what's up. take care.

The 3225S is USB 1.1, but it has a defective internal USB driver that makes it have even slower file transfer and half the time the transferred files are corrupt.

If you can get HOME to see it (try some of these resets first if you cant), then go to "Update my XL" and update the application. Keep repeating that until you get application 9.025, which fixes the USB bug.

I am using a Mac and have had no problems with Home, but I HAVE had issues with 9.025 making the 335s and 340s touchscreen jumpy and slow. Please see my thread here for more detail (if you are interested): https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...770-2-software-causes-touchscreen-issues.html

Since you are a super moderator :), have you noticed any of the touchscreen issues with 9.025? I've reverted back to 8.415 which runs very quickly..although I'm not sure what the drawbacks may be to this version. Since I have had no USB issues on the Mac with the TT, I'm hoping that I can keep using 8.415!..:)

I never owned a 340, only played with demos in stores. My old 720 did pretty much everything a 340 does, so there was no reason for me to purchase one.

But to partially answer your question, the USB upgrade is permanent. If you downgrade to app 8.415 after running 9.025, you'll still keep the USB fix. You can confirm you have this by looking at the map version screen on the Tomtom, you should see "boot = 5.5136" if you have the USB fix loaded properly.

Application 9.025 has the ability to keep favorites when you update maps, has foreign character/language fixes, and other unspecified "minor bug" fixes. The changelog is here.

question? do i need the EULA's from all the other countries and their respective intros?

I don't think you need them, but they're relatively tiny so you may not want to bother removing them. You'll get far more space by removing any 40mb computer voices that you don't use. In fact the newer builds of the 335S and 340S now only contain 1 preinstalled computer voice.

multiple attempts later...

I deleted all files in the root, then I connected it to HOME, it immediately suggested I update. Did that, it reset automatically and found the next application update (v. 9.025). It reset and reconnected to HOME. No more updates were needed.

I hit the eject button, and took the time to make sure it disconnected completely. It booted to the legal screen, and when I hit "agree" it hung on the legal screen with what looked like the "agree" button pressed, even without me holding the button down.

I waited for a few minutes and it stayed there. So I pressed the button on the top and it flashed the boot up logo as mentioned in my very first post.

"- When I press the on button now, it flashes the boot logo for a millisecond, then nothing.
- Doing the hard reset 15 second thing does the drums, logo, neat yellow bar, back to logo, then off after about 5 seconds. Then nothing."

Any ideas?

Make an Explorer, not Home, backup. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing. Then format your unit. Don't use quickformat. Then restore the backup.

Does it help?

Also, try deleting the mapsettings.cfg file in your map folder. Depending on your unit, it will be in the "North_America" folder or the "USA-Canada-Mexico" folder.

Ask a Question