xl 330s rebooting

TomTom Model(s)
XL 330s
Hi guys, sorry if this topic is "old" but I've searched around and haven't found an answer.

I have a TT xl 330s that I bought from Bestbuy for Christmas. It's rarely used except for long trips. Last night I plugged it into my laptop and installed an update( quickGPS fix). Afterwards it didn't find a signal and reboots after 30 seconds. I used TT Home to remove the quickGPS fix but that didn't work. I also followed the TomTom site about flashing it 3 times. That didn't work. I also did what they say about removing the application from the device via TomTom home, then reinstall it, but that didn't work either.

I read on here that it is best to remove some things via Explorer, but I'm not sure where and what to remove. I don't have any backups because I've never had a need for it. Actually, I just didn't even think about it.
I can't even Operate my xl through tomtom home. It says I cannot use this feature because it is not supported by your device. But I do remember using it before. :mad:

Please, can anyone help me? This is frustrating. :(

-David

Well, try this. Connect to the computer. Use Explorer to delte the mapsettings.cfg file in the specific map folder on your unit. You'll lose all your favourites, recent destinations, etc.

Disconnect the unit properly from the computer using the Hardware Device icon in the notification area.

Restart the unit. It'll recreate the file but the rebooting may stop.

Ok, I deleted the mapsettings.cfg from the device, disconnected, and rebooted.I get the agreement page, and it still gets stuck at the Blue screen with no GPS signal. It still stays there for about 30 seconds then reboots.

I checked the device and the mapsettings file was not recreated. Any other ideas?

I'm not sure how to even reformat this thing and make it like I first got it.

Without a backup, you do NOT want to format the unit or you'll lose the map.

Make an Explorer backup of the unit's contents. Don't use Home.

Then, after ensuring you have got the backup on the computer, delete all the loose files in the root of the unit (those files not in any folder). Do NOT delete any folders or their contents.

Connect the unit to Home and you should be offered an application. Accept and install.

Remove the unit properly from Home using the Device Disconnect icon. Now reboot the unit.

Any better?

Wow! You really know your stuff!! I can now operate my device through TT Home, and when I restart the device I get the map, and my menus!

Now 1 more problem... I can't get a GPS signal. I went outside and waited for 3 minutes but the device says "waiting for a valid GPS Signal".

Be patient, it may take a few more minutes for the link to be established ...........

Ok, I gave it a couple hours to be sure, but I still can't get a GPS signal. I tried a restore from within the device, put in my home address but still can't get a signal. :(

Any ideas?

When you tap the satellite bars on the unit and then tap the little bars, do you see the yellow ball rorating at the top of the screen?

I turned it off last night, and decided to check it again this morning, after about 2 minutes I finally got the GPS signal, although it fades from 3 bars to 0. At home I used to have a stronger signal. I guess we'll see how the next few days go. I'm just happy to have it working! :)

Thank you very much for your help!! :)

Ask a Question