XL 330s No maps, wont go to any other screen

Yesterday I bought an XL 330s from Best buy. I put it together in the car, and it worked fine. I got home, followed the instructions to hook it up to my computer, so that it could be updated, etc. It said I needed a new map USA_AND_CANADA. I told it to update, and it did, took FOREVER. After it was all downloaded and tried to install it said some file was missing, and update was aborted.

I clicked the disconnect device tab on tomtom home, it told me it was ok to disconnect etc. I restarted it, and now all it shows is a screen that says "No maps available" WTF!

It wont go to any other screen, it shows the loading screen, then the no maps screen.

HELP!

Reconnect the device to the PC and start up Home, see if it will re-load the map, if not to be honest I would take it back to the store as DOA and demand another one.

It should be possible to recover the device but its a lot of work and shouldn't be your problem - Mike

Thanks, Mike, Im attempting to reinstall the map that home said I needed, for some reason this takes forever, and I know it has nothing to do with my computer.

If it doesnt work, Im gonna take it back, worst part is the closest best buy is 45 minutes away.....

Once the map has downloaded which can take between an hour and overnight depending upon your internet connection speed and the demand on the server at TomTom. With the map on the PC Home will then unzip it and start to install it to the device, as far as I know the unit you have is only equipped with a USB-1 port so the transfer takes about an hour for the map to install - Mike

Restore to Factory Defaults will return the unit's settings to out of the box but still won't fix the map situation.

It had a map yesterday, didnt go away til I tried to update it
Yeah, but when you update the map, it over writes the existing map. So if it failed somewhere in the middle, you may not have any map... or at least the file attributes are messed up enough so the navcore or application won't see it.

There is one more thing that I was reading back in January. If the software needs an update and that is not done first, it will render the unit DOA when a map update is attempted. Has that problem been resolved, or was it only back then and on the 335S, and are we long past that stage of the game?

Thanks
Viking

There is one more thing that I was reading back in January. If the software needs an update and that is not done first, it will render the unit DOA when a map update is attempted. Has that problem been resolved, or was it only back then and on the 335S, and are we long past that stage of the game?

That problem is still there, depending on whether you got a device with the defective software preinstalled.

Try updating your app repeatedly in Tomtom HOME until you have the latest one. It should be 8.083.

Once you get 8.083, format the Tomtom with quickformat disabled. If it says "bad sectors" repeat the format until it doesn't say bad sectors.

Then run "update my XL" to again reinstall the software and then install your map.

Ask a Question