XL 330-S Advance Notice of Turns

I've just started using an XL 330-S. It waits until .25 mi. before a turn to give instructions, e.g. "Turn right in one-quarter mile onto Main Street." This seems very late to give a heads up. If I were on an interstate in anything other than the right-hand lane, I could easily miss the exit.

Is this normal behavior for this unit? Is this typical across the TomTom line?

Thank you--

Check under speech preferences whether you have 'disable early warning' checked. That may have something to do with it.

I know that on my 720, I'll get a warning from a computer voice to turn in 1 kilometer (.625 mile).

But, I'll also get other warnings as I get closer to the turn.

heads up

I've just started using an XL 330-S. It waits until .25 mi. before a turn to give instructions, e.g. "Turn right in one-quarter mile onto Main Street." This seems very late to give a heads up. If I were on an interstate in anything other than the right-hand lane, I could easily miss the exit.

Is this normal behavior for this unit? Is this typical across the TomTom line?

Thank you--

I belive it may change depending on your speed.

Just came back from trip to home depot. When I was coming out it told me to "turn
left and stay in left lane". Doing 50 it said "left turn ahead" at about 1.1 miles.
Still doing 50, it said "in 800 yards turn left". Slowing down at turn it said
"turn left then right". After turning left it said "in 200 yards turn right then left".
After turning right it said, "in 200 yards turn left then right". etc.
It seems that speed and distance both come into play. On interstates I remember warnings
at over 1 mile. Hope this helps.

you can always 'ask' for the next instruction anytime by touching the 'direction' arrow. Works like a person beside you.

Yep, speed has alot to do with it. Just 2 days ago I got an early warning as early as 2.1 miles, perhaps because I was doing 85 MPH?

Saw a youtube video of guy in BMW type 6 on the Autobahn doing 202mph as shown on his gps unit in kmh. Wonder what the early warning was in that situation?:eek:

Ask a Question