Wierd routing (seperate but also map changes not reflected)

Wierd routing

The routing has seemed weird in a lot of ways.

The best example though, is that when routing home from 2 different points -- both routes, match up at one point. -- One would think, that if the routes have matched up, and the destination is the same, that the rest of the routes should match up....... instead of quickly diverging from each other. (See picture)

Also, on my way to work, I go under a bridge. The road I am on, has a ramp that goes up to the street that is the bridge. Instead of taking me under the bridge, it tries to tell me to go up the ramp, across the street, and back down the ramp, right back on the street I'd be on if I just went straight 300 yards under the bridge. (See picture)

Anyone else have anything like this happen? Any idea's why?

(See attached picture for rudimentary (made in paint in 2 minutes) diagram of what I am talking about)

Attachments

• first example.jpg
    first example.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 356
  • second example.JPG
    second example.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
I've seen the same behavior as your first example on my Garmin unit, but have been unable to reproduce it on my TomTom. I'd be interested in seeing this on my TomTom. Can you provide an address or coordinates for starting points and an end point (doesn't necessarily have to be your home) so I can see for myself. I'm not suggesting I can fix, or even explain it, I'm just curious.

As for the second example, I'd be interested in seeing that first hand too.

I've seen the same behavior as your first example on my Garmin unit, but have been unable to reproduce it on my TomTom. I'd be interested in seeing this on my TomTom. Can you provide an address or coordinates for starting points and an end point (doesn't necessarily have to be your home) so I can see for myself. I'm not suggesting I can fix, or even explain it, I'm just curious.

This is a tad different from my little diagram i made, because in finding some address's you can try, I found something even more ridiculous.

OK - for destination address on both routes use 3916 Lawndale Dr, Greensboro NC

For the starting points use:
869 S Elam Ave, Greensboro ,NC
and
221 S Elam Ave, Greensboro ,NC

You will notice that the 869 S Elam route passes right through 221 S Elam

Yet Just after crossing Market St, the 869 S Elam route takes a left on Madison (BY FAR THE BETTER OPTION) - while the 221 S Elam route, does not make that left on Madison, and instead stays on Elam for many miles.

NOTE: All my routes are planned as "fastest" -- so make sure you do the same when trying to reproduce (I haven't even really messed around with trying shortest at all -- but I might if someone thinks it will make better routing decisions.)

As for the second example, I'd be interested in seeing that first hand too.

Make a route
to: 2756 Lawndale Dr, Greensboro, NC

It happens where Lawndale crosses (goes under) Cone Blvd.

(If you map the same route the other way, it routes it like normal)

I can see what you're talking about. For the second example I tried a starting point beyond the ramp, to verify that, if the only possible way to go (having already passed the ramp) and TomTom did find a route.

Both examples are curious. As suspected though, I can't offer any insight into why we're seeing this behaviour.

If you have it set to "shortest route" - it usually results in off-ons like you described.

"Fastest Route" is usually safe, but occasionally it produces some odd routes - especially when it chooses an unimproved fire trail versus faster paved roads.

A thought I just had. And even if this could be a factor, there is no way it could explain, the second example in my OP.

But I wonder if IQ routes could have anything to do with it.
http://www.tomtom.com/whytomtom/topic.php?topic=5&subject=3

The article talks Im pretty sure, like it is already a feature in use -- but it seems like you would have a menu option or something. (i.e. "Fastest route"/"Fastest IQ route/"Shortest Route")

So I don't even know for sure if it's already is use, and if it is/were if it could somehow cause something like this. But figured I's throw it out there.

Ask a Question