XXL Touch Screen wierdness

TomTom Model(s)
One 3rd Edition
I just purchased a refurbished XXL 540S, and the touch screen is acting strangely. Basically, touching the screen behaves inaccurately. For example, if you're trying to select a Favorite from the list, you touch the favorite you want, but the screen thinks you've pressed the favorite above the one you touched in the list. So it appears that the screen is inaccurate to touch inputs.

My guess is that this is a hardware problem and not something that can be fixed with a firmware change or some other tweak. I remember a Palm device that I had 10 years ago that allowed me to put it into a mode that allowed it to "learn" how you aim when touching the screen, but I don't believe that's possible with these TomToms.

So I'm prepared to send it back to TomTom for repair/replacement, but I thought I'd check with y'all first.

Thanks!

Agree with RickF .. better to return that one. I assume that this vertical offset problem occurs whenever touching the screen where items are closely spaced?

The process of trying to manually recalibrate the touchscreen is no picnic, and is typically reserved for people whose units are out of warranty or otherwise unreturnable. If you can return it, I'd do so.

In fact, I think that might be a software problem. I seem to remember others reporting the same issue.

(If selections [other than favourites] are causing problems, though, then a return might be in order}.

I saw a 540 demo in a store that did the exact same thing. There was an obvious dent in the screen, so perhaps your model is also physically defective.

Tomtom has a 6 month warranty on refurbs, you can call TT and warranty swap the device if the store won't accept returns.

Ask a Question